Baja designs squadron pro issue melting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SEANRAPTOR

Reaction score
Hi all! So I was just randomly turning on my aux switches late tonight and I noticed that my squadron pros aren’t turning on! Upon further investigation I found that it looks melted on the connector near where I connected the aux and squadrons. I have a 2020. Why did this happen?? They are attached to the pure yellow and the orange and yellow aux switches
Help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 41

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont recognize those clips from any of my BD lights/installs. Did you add those as taps or something?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Poor connection, creates high resistance which increases load which increases heat.

Make.
Proper.
Electrical.
Connections.

Yes, I know, that’s the B/D harness they sent you with the lights, and blah, blah, blah.

A properly done crimp connector would work better. I think this is called a ‘pinch’ connector(?) They’re designed to slide over an existing cable insulation, cutting it and tapping for power. The thing is, if you’re cutting the insulation, what’s to prevent cutting the small strands of wire?

^^^
This is a ‘rhetorical’ question, because the answer is nothing.

This connection either didn’t have full contact or make full contact, or possibly cut the wire - or more precisely cut some of the ‘conduit’ strands ultimately creating WAY too much heat.

This is how very bad things happen to your very expensive Raptor.

We have a single squadron pro here at:

3 amps using 41.4 watts. This is ~ 13.8v dc. ish.

You have a pair of squadron pros, they will use 6-ish amps so your up fitter must be 10a or higher rated to support the squadrons without a relay.

if you still have light at the up fitter when you turn it on, then it’s unlikely you blew a fuse.

Unfortunately, this excessive heat may have also damaged the harness.

I’d invest in some good connectors that you crimp on with a tool or pair of lineman pliers which have a crimping cut out. You may choose different types, like male to female connectors (with insulation) so long as they make a positive connection and they won’t ‘loosen’ with vibration or impact.
Replace that wiring harness and throw the old one out.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A properly done crimp connector would work better. I think this is called a ‘pinch’ connector(?) They’re designed to slide over an existing cable insulation, cutting it and tapping for power. The thing is, if you’re cutting the insulation, what’s to prevent cutting the small strands of wire?
Is that what we’re seeing in those photos? A quick splice/scotch lock? I thought at first it was a connector with a wire shoved through the back to tap into the circuit.

As you said, poor wiring connections are not only unreliable, but dangerous. Quick splices/scotch locks are hack and should never be used.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
scotch lock - I’ve heard that one before, thanks.

And yes, that’s a B/D harness, I have one like it. The funny thing is, I got that same harness with a pair of S1’s that draw... 3 amps total? somewhere around there. The power wire is 10gauge multi-strand good for 35(?) amps!
but uses that connector ! :snoopfacepalm:

I hope that’s been replaced in current B/D kits ( no electrical pun intended ).

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all! So I was just randomly turning on my aux switches late tonight and I noticed that my squadron pros aren’t turning on! Upon further investigation I found that it looks melted on the connector near where I connected the aux and squadrons. I have a 2020. Why did this happen?? They are attached to the pure yellow and the orange and yellow aux switches
Help!
1683131322141.png

Hey Seanraptor,

What is this grounded to? We only recommend grounding it to a chassis ground on the vehicle. Looks like you were getting resistance which caused it to get hot and melt. A butt connector or even soldering them together will go ahead and fix this issue.
Best,

Brahian

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Help!

Something about the way the wire is spliced does not look correct. Did you possibly splice it incorrectly and an exposed part of the wire touched the ground bolt which is right next to it? Was there any exposed wire possibly on it?

It looks like a short to me. Did your fuse blow?