Bad news... (the One and ONLY thread about the shortage of Tuxedo Black paint)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what my dealer wrote me about my order I placed for a Black Raptor on 2/12.

"We received word yesterday that a "material hold" has been placed on all F-150s scheduled with a Tuxedo Black exterior until further notice.

This hold has come about due to a supplier issue out of Japan and is a result of the recent earthquakes in that country."

Now I need to decide what to do... I want this truck but I don't want to wait 6 months for it. :(

That would be called a salemans ********

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Does not make sense that Ford would source one color of paint from Japan. Any paint supplier can mix the color. Ford stops production for paint?

Henry Ford must be rolling in his grave

"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"
- Henry Ford

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you say that?

Maybe they didn't order it, it takes them off the hook for any problems down the road,
if Ford was buying paint from Japan, it wouldn't affect your order now. They probably stopped producing paint 2 week ago? Maybe less, it prolly takes 2 weeks just to ship. Catch my drift?? No way could it affect your order. Now if you ordered today and they said that it might take a bit longer due to the tsunami then thats more acceptable.

OP
OP
F

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't order it, it takes them off the hook for any problems down the road,
if Ford was buying paint from Japan, it wouldn't affect your order now. They probably stopped producing paint 2 week ago? Maybe less, it prolly takes 2 weeks just to ship. Catch my drift?? No way could it affect your order. Now if you ordered today and they said that it might take a bit longer due to the tsunami then thats more acceptable.

Well I was just now expecting my VIN so it would be a month from now at least before mine was planned to be built. So I'm sure they could take stock of what they have now and determine how many vehicles they can do. I hope this does not last and I can get a VIN and move on but who knows with this Japan thing.

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was just now expecting my VIN so it would be a month from now at least before mine was planned to be built. So I'm sure they could take stock of what they have now and determine how many vehicles they can do. I hope this does not last and I can get a VIN and move on but who knows with this Japan thing.

Right, meaning they should have enough paint so that a few months worth of cars can be built before they begin to run out.

Thats just what first comes to mind when I hear someone say something like that.

Its not like if the paint isnt used within a year it will go bad... so they should have a huge reserve.....

OP
OP
F

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, meaning they should have enough paint so that a few months worth of cars can be built before they begin to run out.

Thats just what first comes to mind when I hear someone say something like that.

Its not like if the paint isnt used within a year it will go bad... so they should have a huge reserve.....

Logistically it is better to order by demand than to keep stock. Stock cost money to keep, ordering does not. Since it is a month after a VIN is created that is more than enough time to have what is needed shipped unless something dire happens (ie a Tsunami).

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But don't they use that color for multiple cars??