Backspacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Netix

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
I currently have 0 off set 20s . Im upgrading to 17x8.5 with 37 inch. I like 0 offset maybe even ill want it to stick out just a tiny bit more what backspace should i get

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Threads like this is where I take the opportunity to voice the supreme idiocy of "offset" in America. All the dimensions of the wheel are English system (inches), yet the ridiculous offset is metric (millimeters).

Now if that isn't bad enough if the width of the wheel, which is in inches, is the inside width, you must know the thickness of the rim to correctly calculate "backspace", or "frontspace" for that matter (which are what we are actually interested in knowing). Pulling my hair out. :flipthebird:

Send offset back where it belongs, over the ocean.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the chart simplifies things to where people can wrap there head around the mm of offset and the inches of back spacing.
The rim that Netix is thinking about is a 17 inch rim 8.5" wide and is offered in 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 and 6" backspace, we can easily determine the the offset of each backspace from the chart listed above. Just wondering what back spacing would work best with out the rubbing of the upper control arm that some have experienced or sticking to far out beyond the fender.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure, I know WSI and Boss Hoss had issues of the tire rubbing on the UCA, but not sure what UCA or offset they were using.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still doing some research on this, Icon has some rims on their Raptor which they say has a 4.875 backspacing for a perfect fit on the Raptor and will work with tires up to a 37". They are 17X8.5 so I'm guesstimating that to be about +2 or 3 offset, if anyone knows how to do the math please chime in with the correct offset. In your case the rim you are looking at comes in a 4.5" and 5" inch backspacing. not sure what would be better -6 or +6. I would guess +6?