Backspacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Is backspacing the same as off set??
Im looking at a rim that makes 3.0 to 6.0 backspacing. Currently im 0 offset and would like something close to that or a tad bit wider. Which should i get?

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found this chart should help.
tech-wheeloffset.gif

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Backspacing vs. Offset Explained(thought this might help some of us)

Wheel Offset
Offset is measured from the centerline of the barrel of the wheel to the hub mounting surface. If that hub mounting surface were in the exact center of the barrel of the wheel the offset would be “0". If the mounting surface is away from the center of the wheel the offset is measured in millimeters. There are 25.4 millimeters to an inch. So if the mounting surface is 12mm from the centerline of the wheel it has a 12mm offset. That would also mean that it is about ½ inch. If the mounting surface is moved away from the vehicle that is a positive offset. The picture shows a wheel with the positive offset. A positive offset will cause the wheel to set in or tuck into the vehicle. Originally you found positive offsets on just front wheel vehicles. Due to that some people refer to positive offset wheels as front wheel drive offsets. Currently there are many rear wheel drive cars and trucks with positive offsets. The higher the positive offset the less it sticks out from the vehicle and it will have a higher Backspace. If the mounting surface is moved in toward the vehicle past the centerline, that is a negative offset. A high negative offset will produce a lower Backspace. Once again the measurement in millimeters is how far away from the centerline the mounting surface is. A -24mm offset means that the mounting surface is located 24mm or 1 inch from the centerline toward the vehicle. The wheel will come out farther from the vehicle and will have that deep dish look.

Width
The width of a wheel is measured inside the beads which are usually ½ inches. If you measure on the outside of the beads an 8 inch wheel will measure 9 inches

Backspace
Back spacing is measured from the inner edge of the wheel to the hub mounting surface. It is a convenient measurement in that, as long as the back spacing remains the same, the clearance to the suspension also remains the same. If you know the width of the wheel and the offset you can compute the backspacing. For example if you have an 8 inch wheel with a +24mm offset. An 8 inch wheel is actually 9 inches wide so if the offset were 0 the mounting surface would be right on the centerline and the backspacing would be 4.5 inches. With a positive offset the mounting surface moves off center 24mm or 1 inch toward the outer edge of the wheel. This will make the inner edge go more inside which will result in a 5.5 inch backspacing.

Centerbore
This is the diameter of the center of the wheel. The centerbore must be equal to or larger than the hub of the vehicle for the wheel to seat. If the wheels centerbore is the same as the hub on the wheel then that wheel is hub-centric and uses the hub to center the wheels. If the centerbore is larger than the hub then the lugs will center the wheel and that is lug-centric. When using a lug-centric wheel be sure and snug the lugs up slowly and tighten them in an opposite or star pattern.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So those running 8.5" wide Methods with 0 offset would have a 4.75" backspacing.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So if the rim only comes in 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 or 6" back spacing and is 8.5" wide What would be the best offset to choose +6?

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My maths not that good but if you have two of three measurements you should be able to figure the other...

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

One of our resident excel spread sheet builders should be able to create a formula....

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going off the chart just not sure what the magick number is to prevent rubbing on the upper control arm, don't want them sticking out to far either.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used to have a 2010 F150 the number I used for it was +24mm the offset I had was 9... on the current set of 10 inch wide wheels stickout to far and rub on the otherside.. I have a new set of +18mm comming so that should take care of it,... The chart above skips 4.75 inches I dont know why maybe a typo... But the correct number on a 9 inch wheels and keep it under the fender so the tread is not sticking out and slinging stuff all over ( in california its the law ) is about +24mm so about an inch 5.5 inch back spacing....