April 2012 FRF Raptor of the Month Contest...:"LANDMARKS":...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
The photo I am entering was not my first choice. I will save that one for the future. Instead, I took a photo of the Citgo sign in Kenmore Square, Boston. If anyone is a baseball fan, you've seen this sign above the Green Monstah at Fenway Park. This was the weekend home opener for the Sox, and the 100th aniversary of the park. The Bruins were playing this afternoon and the Boston Marathon was on the following Monday. I was in town to see the circus with my family. It was a very very busy weekend in Boston, so getting this shot with very little traffic was wicked hard. haha. Enjoy:

DSC_3162.jpg

This photo shows the clowns I went to the circus with:

DSC_3157.jpg

you'll get my vote :)

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here ya go.. Parked in front of George Washington's house. The plate just above my front bumper is one of the cannon's they used to help defend. Should have went up on the grass for a pic of it. ha ha ha..
Aprolatgeorgewashhouse004.jpg

HISTORY
Winchester-Frederick Historical Society
George Washington used a little log building, now the middle room of George Washington Office Museum, as a military office from September 1755 to December of 1756 while Fort Loudoun was being constructed at the north end of town. Washington planned Fort Loudoun, supervised the work and brought his own blacksmiths from Mount Vernon to do the ironwork. The fort was a redoubt with four bastions; there were fourteen mounted cannon and it covered one-half acre. It was made of logs filled with earth and inside there were barracks for 450 men. A well was sunk 103 feet through solid limestone rock to supply the fort with water. This well is all that remains of the fort today.

Located on the grounds of the museum is a cannon that was left by General Edward Braddock in Alexandria. It is among a number of artifacts displayed at the office. The current exhibit is entitled "George Washington and the West." This display includes some of Washington's personal effects, surveying equipment and a scale model of the town of Winchester circa 1755 which shows the fort prominently located at the north end of the town.

Winchester played an important role in George Washington's early adult life; his military and political career began here. As a young man of sixteen, he came to the area to begin what he thought would be his life's profession, surveying. With the earnings from his surveying business he was able to buy a number of acres around Frederick County and also a lot in the town that enabled him to serve as a Burgess From Frederick County 1758-1765. During the French and Indian War he commanded the Virginia Regiment from his headquarters in Winchester.

Last edited:

RaptorRexCullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok - After a long tour today breaking in the new wheels, I just had to stop at this place in southern Alberta... The title is nothing short of redneck priceless...

The first two are the place (landmark), and the third is my entry because of the logistics of the parking lot and getting the actual scenery in the photo.

Entrance
564214_10150835898029283_661084282_11784148_713912858_n.jpg

The Sign...
576564_10150835892304283_661084282_11784097_52614786_n.jpg

The actual cliff from the best angle I could find without having the Keystone cops chase me off...
523900_10150835369214283_661084282_11781349_403527836_n.jpg

If you can read the sign, apparently it was cheaper on arrows etc. a few thousand years ago, and the Indians would just round up herds of buffalo and stampede'em off the cliff.
Beats the hell outta chasing them down with a spear and tomahawk I guess...

Hey cool stuff JP7. Ive been there :waytogo:

Ok, first attempt at this. Just got the truck 3 weeks ago and was out on the beach over the weekend. This is the Peter Iredale in Fort Stevens State Park, it ran ashore near the mouth of the Columbia River in Oregon in 1906 and has been there ever since. This was a very impromptu picture and it was getting late. I would have loved to move around it more and take some other photos, but it is what it is.

PerterIredale.jpg

That picture is SOOO SICK! Probably my favorite raptor pic so far! Great work

RAPTILE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, there are several landmarks in the United Arab Emirates to choose from. You can google any from the below list to find out more:

Ferrari World, home of the fastest roller coaster in the world (Abu Dhabi)
Burj Al Arab, worlds first and only 7 star hotel (Dubai)
Capital Gate Building, worlds most leaning building (Abu Dhabi)
Jebel Ali International Airport, largest airport in the world (Dubai)
Ski Dubai, world's largest indoor ski slope (Mall of the Emirates, Dubai)
Emirates Palace Hotel, one of the most luxurious hotels in the world (Abu Dhabi)
The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, largest Mosque in the world (Abu Dhabi)
Meydan Race Track, home of the most expensive horse race (Dubai)
Emirates Golf Club, home of the Dubai Desert Golf Classic (Dubai)
The Palm and World Islands, largest man-made islands, visible from outer space (Dubai)

But my choice of focus for this month is the tallest man-made structure on the planet!

This building was recently featured in the movie "Mission Impossible 4", with Tom Cruise.

Because of it's size (and also because of all the security around the place), I had to stand off quite a bit in order to get the whole building in the photo.

At over 828 metres (2,716.5 feet) and more than 160 stories, Burj Khalifa holds the following records:
• Tallest building in the world
• Tallest free-standing structure in the world
• Highest number of stories in the world
• Highest occupied floor in the world
• Highest outdoor observation deck in the world
• Elevator with the longest travel distance in the world
• Tallest service elevator in the world

It is also the location of the highest building BASE jump ever (2010).

The first photo is from about 1 KM away
The second photo is from about 500 meters away
The third photo (my official entry) was taken from about 1.5 KM away and shows how big this sucker is standing next to a couple of neighboring skyscrapers.

On a side note: standing behind my living room bar, I can look straight out my patio window and see the ski slope at the mall (walking distance) and the Burj Al Arab (7 star hotel). From the same position, I can look out the window to my right and see the world's tallest building about 7 KMs away. Though I live in the middle of a city that sometimes resembles OZ, I am fortunate enough to be able to travel less than 5 minutes from home in my Raptor to shred the desert landscape.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2458.jpg
    IMG_2458.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:

EatsPrii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the Twin Cities Assembly plant was a good Landmark to take a picture of. Here's my submission:

The Ranger, LTD and other vehicles were made there between 1925 and December 2011 when it was permanently closed.

Here's a couple extra shots of the exterior
MyRaptor pictures by BrandonLJohnston - Photobucket

Attachments

• IMAG1109.jpg
    IMAG1109.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 616

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor in front of the State of Texas Capitol.....

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 580
Status
Not open for further replies.