Anybody DIY their Mid-Travel Kits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Psirus7

Reaction score
Curious if anybody installed their own mid-travel (front) kit in their garage and what their major challenges were. I've got a bolt-on style kit that I would like to put on myself, and then take to a pro for alignment and bypass mount (welding) install.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So.... longer UCA's, LCA's, shocks, tie rods, & axles? Then new fiberglass fenders? Plus longer brake lines, ABS sensors and IWE hoses?

How many dollars (in 2023 funny money) are you budgeting for this?

OP
OP
Psirus7

Psirus7

Reaction score
So.... longer UCA's, LCA's, shocks, tie rods, & axles? Then new fiberglass fenders? Plus longer brake lines, ABS sensors and IWE hoses?

How many dollars (in 2023 funny money) are you budgeting for this?
I have all of it.…at least all the parts mentioned above.

2012SCSVT

Reaction score
Curious if anybody installed their own mid-travel (front) kit in their garage and what their major challenges were. I've got a bolt-on style kit that I would like to put on myself, and then take to a pro for alignment and bypass mount (welding) install.

If I were you I would check all the kits you ordered for all the right parts. It's surprising how many items get forgotten when stuff is packed by hand in off road shops... it's always dumb little things like missing a misalignment spacers or 2 LH treaded rod ends instead of 1 RH and one LH.

If you have welded arms, The next most challenging thing you will face is installing uniballs depending if they are not installed.

Otherwise you have it figured out. It's just remove and replace and follow your plan.

And you should cycle the suspension and cut/adjust things as needed...

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I take it not a lot of DIY mid travel installs?
I've done 4 trucks so far.
I do almost everything myself except for Transmissions and differentials.
Bolt on mid travel is a cinch.. Take it off, bolt it on.... I don't really think any of it is tricky. I have also done a Coyote F150 budget build for my son cutting out the buckets and welding in the KHC ones in our garage.. rolled it in at 8am ans drove out on LT by 10 PM.. Had a friend to help on that thrash session.

What exactly are you concerned with DIY?

OP
OP
Psirus7

Psirus7

Reaction score
I've done 4 trucks so far.
I do almost everything myself except for Transmissions and differentials.
Bolt on mid travel is a cinch.. Take it off, bolt it on.... I don't really think any of it is tricky. I have also done a Coyote F150 budget build for my son cutting out the buckets and welding in the KHC ones in our garage.. rolled it in at 8am ans drove out on LT by 10 PM.. Had a friend to help on that thrash session.

What exactly are you concerned with DIY?
Nice! Did you have to swap uprights on any of the kits? Any challenges with brakes, hubs, or IWE?

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice! Did you have to swap uprights on any of the kits? Any challenges with brakes, hubs, or IWE?
All of them...
generally when we swap to boxed uppers and lowers we will at a minimum run a gusseted factory upright. Never had issues with the Brakes IWE, the hub etc.
Use a breaker to loosen caliper bolts, 4 bolts on hub etc before you smack the factory ball-joints loose so that parts aren't wobbling around when you try and bust them free.
Be careful not to over tighten the nut on the axel shaft that goes through the hub when you reinstall..it is small and has a low torque spec.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter