Any easy brake upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside of an Alcon kit or flushing your brakes, there’s not a whole lot you can do. The OEM pads and rotors are very good. The problem lies in that it’s a big heavy truck and the brakes are undersized.

Ford has had this problem for years and refuses to do anything about it. The brakes on the 1999-04 Super Duties were too small until the 05’ and up added larger standard 17” wheels to clear larger rotors.

Now realistically, they need to go to an 18” wheel for the Raptors to clear larger calipers and rotors. It won’t happen however because keeping the 17s allows them to share a common steering knuckle amongst all the F150s thus saving money.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in up to 85mph speed limit land (Texas) the OE brakes suck and fade easily if someone does somthing stupid on multi lane off ramps. First hand experience. Now, unfortunatley, I have to plan ahead much more so than a normal vehicle (miss Toyota brakes). I mean I have a CDL, but didn't expect to have to drive a non commercial vehicle this way.

The most reasonable fix I see thus far is a good set of pads and lines. However, I can't help but wonder if that will be enough. FYI the holes/slots in the most common rotor offerings are not much more than cosmetic, and great places for debres to get caught up for those who do actually offroad. Wish the Alcon kit would fit the OE beadlock ready wheels without spacers. I've used hubcentric bolt on spacers in off road applications in the past. For some reason though I have heartburn with the slip on spacers with the Alcon kit. Maybe I'm just being the "old guy"?

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this kit on my 2020, what a significant difference on stopping distance. I drove my buddies 2018 Raptor about an hour after driving mine with my Alcons, I can tell you it felt outright dangerous not to have bigger/better brakes on our Raptors. I could not believe how poorly my buddies 2018 Raptor with OEM brakes performed/felt. I really had to apply a lot of brake pedal pressure Compared to my Raptor. I’m sure it seems fAdequate if I had not experienced braking with my Alcon BBK. I have a 2018 MB G63 that came stand with Brembo BBK and the Alcon perform just as well.

BTW, there is a total of six brake lines you’ll want to change to Braided SS.

Attachments

• 407EADE4-13F4-42FE-99DA-3D7BC73466AA.jpeg
    407EADE4-13F4-42FE-99DA-3D7BC73466AA.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 8E9A65AA-1CD7-420A-A158-0F2F4248FA75.jpeg
    8E9A65AA-1CD7-420A-A158-0F2F4248FA75.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 278462AC-85AD-48A2-8730-67F525F17816.jpeg
    278462AC-85AD-48A2-8730-67F525F17816.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 47
  • B31DBADD-8026-4E45-AE02-ADA81C974E47.jpeg
    B31DBADD-8026-4E45-AE02-ADA81C974E47.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 5F55B5F4-102F-40F0-9F8F-7D5F2607F143.jpeg
    5F55B5F4-102F-40F0-9F8F-7D5F2607F143.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 45

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this kit on my 2020, what a significant difference on stopping distance. I drove my buddies 2018 Raptor about an hour after driving mine with my Alcons, I can tell you it felt outright dangerous not to have bigger/better brakes on our Raptors. I could not believe how poorly my buddies 2018 Raptor with OEM brakes performed/felt. I really had to apply a lot of brake pedal pressure Compared to my Raptor. I’m sure it seems fAdequate if I had not experienced braking with my Alcon BBK. I have a 2018 MB G63 that came stand with Brembo BBK and the Alcon perform just as well.

BTW, there is a total of six brake lines you’ll want to change to Braided SS.

If I knew those Alcon kits would hold up in the salt and corrosive environments, I would in a heartbeat.

Those are beautiful.

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure the calipers are aluminum… I’d suspect the rotors and rest of the hardware are similar in rust resistance as OEM. So I wouldn’t let that be a deterrent to the purchase. My reservations are probably more academic for my uses than anything.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had done a bunch of track time over the years so needless to say I have changed a bunch of brakes, as well as modified them to work better.

1) drilled by a high quality company is fine but I preferred slotted or swept slots. Realistically the drilled is more for looks than real function. Yes drilled will form cracks but I only can speak from a track perspective and running brakes from 150 to 50 in short distances repeatedly.

2) pads will make a much bigger difference out of the box. The trick is finding the pad that works for you and your liking. I have had pads which everyone loves but they felt horrible and I was a bit un-nerved. For starters, find a pad others like and give them a try.

3) brake fluid replaced every 2 years for non-track vehicles regardless of the miles. That simple and I don’t debate why I do it.

4) Stainless steal lines I feel are more psychological on modern vehicles. It’s not like the lines are ballon puppet soft. I have had both, OEM and SS and in a blind test, not 100% sure I could definitively pick the winner. SS brake lines is not like moving from 4 wheel drum brakes to disk brakes.

Yes tires do make a big difference but my experience moving to more pistons and better pads (maybe rotors) will start the slowing process faster which is better. Like people have said, once you squeal or the ABS kick in, you are locked up so you have exceeded the brakes

I do agree better brakes are a must but with stock 17’s your performance increase is limited.

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spot on from my personal track experience and that of my former customers. Except I believe the lines are more than a psychological upgrade. They can reduce pedal travel significantly on some applications. I have no personal experience with the Raptor in this matter.

As a side, the only way a stock wheel “upgrade” would be worth it is the use of pads with more surface area, and a more aggressive compound. Of course more pistons/fixed calipers etc help to keep all that new found swept area even.

A wider rotor (near OE diameter) with more mass has been used in other platforms with success. More thermal load potential. However the offset in this application seems to limit that option.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m sure the calipers are aluminum… I’d suspect the rotors and rest of the hardware are similar in rust resistance as OEM. So I wouldn’t let that be a deterrent to the purchase. My reservations are probably more academic for my uses than anything.
The Alcons are ductile steel calipers and rotors for strength. FWIW I did fluid, pads and rotors and was still unhappy. Went to the front Alcons and honestly it’s a top 2 upgrade IMO.