Any concern about parking moonroof outside in 100-105+ heat & sun? And anything to put on it (films, etc.)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m4torapt

Reaction score
Hey all. I know there are drastically different opinions whether the moonroof is a good or bad idea, worth it or not worth it... but I have one, and not debating whether its good or bad. Overall, I like it. But first vehicle I've had in a very, very long time thats had one.

So:

Firstly, I can't park my truck in my garage, unfortunately it just doesn't fit, so it lives in the driveway!

Second, I'm in TX and in the summer (and right now) it can be 100-105+ degree heat daily with the sun blaring down on the driveway all day.

My concern is not about the rails/plastic, which seems to be the most common complaint. But since it's sitting in this hot sun all day, the concern is about the increased risk of the sunroof exploding (like you hear happens on some fords, and other makes as well).

My questions are:

1) Has anyone in the hot states had issues with parking their truck outside all day in very high heat with the moonroof? Or any concern there?

2) Are there any films I can safely put on the sunroof that in the extremely rare case it does pop, can eliminate millions of pieces everywhere that anyone knows about?

Thanks!

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let’s talk about something fun like how my wife is upset with me because she finally drove the rap and is now insanely jello over power compared to the same stock engine in her Lincoln nav.

mine is goosed.

OP
OP
M

m4torapt

Reaction score
I live in Phoenix and my rap lives in the driveway with its moonroof. Your heat is RI sized, not Texas sized, compared to our heat. AZ is actually hotter than the surface of the sun in the summer.
Sorry, what's RI?

This week we're hitting 104+ with 40-70% humidity. I guess one positive of AZ in regard to heat is the less humidity...

But in any case, guess this answers my question of others parking their moonroof outside in direct, hot heat without any issues. Did you put any film/tint or anything on it - or just leave as is?

Thanks!

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ceramic tint adds strength to the window and blocks 99% UV rays along with almost 50% sun heat. I was just posting about this in another thread. If you are in a sun area (I'm in so cal) then the ceramic tint of the entire vehicle is the best Mod/Upgrade you will ever get on this truck. If you are concerned about tint laws or visibility, they make ceramic tint in clear. I paid $850 to do every window in the truck. I couldn't believe how much more enjoyable it made driving on hot days. Reduces glare from headlights at night also.

Man I feel like I work for these tint companies now lol

OP
OP
M

m4torapt

Reaction score
Ceramic tint adds strength to the window and blocks 99% UV rays along with almost 50% sun heat. I was just posting about this in another thread. If you are in a sun area (I'm in so cal) then the ceramic tint of the entire vehicle is the best Mod/Upgrade you will ever get on this truck. If you are concerned about tint laws or visibility, they make ceramic tint in clear. I paid $850 to do every window in the truck. I couldn't believe how much more enjoyable it made driving on hot days. Reduces glare from headlights at night also.

Man I feel like I work for these tint companies now lol
Thanks a lot. I'm thinking about doing the ceramic clear on the moonroof, but was reading (and unsure if its true or not) that it'll actually cause the glass to absorb more heat with the clear tint on it.

Again, that might not be right.

Since heat is my secondary concern, and the strength of the class/potential for "exploding" is my primary concern, still looking into it a bit.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I'm thinking about doing the ceramic clear on the moonroof, but was reading (and unsure if its true or not) that it'll actually cause the glass to absorb more heat with the clear tint on it.

Again, that might not be right.

Since heat is my secondary concern, and the strength of the class/potential for "exploding" is my primary concern, still looking into it a bit.
The exploding was only something that used to happen in the 80's and 90's with low quality darkened tint film. It doesn't happen anymore. I didn't go with clear on the moon roof since you want to be able to keep the shade open on a hot summer day. Whatever brand you go with just make sure its ceramic tint.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of Raptor's and other cars with sunroof's in Socal, you don't hear of "exploding" sun roofs do you? The glass is not going to shatter into a million pieces. You can lubricate sliding surfaces/seals with Krytox and keep drain channels clean, sunroof will function just fine. If heat entering the cabin is an issue, get a ceramic film applied to the sunroof to mitigate heat entering.