amp/pre-amp needed for mp3 device?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ernie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally tried out my iAudio J3 player [like an iPod for those not familiar with iAudio] in the truck yesterday, running it through the Sync Line-In. While there was sound and it was OK, it was nothing like I expected from this player [I've had it for over a year, sounds fantastic when played directly through my Klipsch PC speakers]. The volume was reduced from what it should have been (I ran the J3 on MAX volume....volume on the head unit turned up almost to MAX), and the sound quality also not what it should have been. The only output from the J3 is from the headphone jack (there is no separate Line-Out]...specs are as follows:

Frequency Range
20Hz~20,000Hz

Max Output
Stereo, 29mW + 29mW (16Ω earphones)

S/N Ratio
95dB

What I'm wondering....and can't seem to figure out on my own......is whether or not I need to place some type of pre-amp or similar between the J3 and the Sync panel......or is this something that's just the nature of the beast and I have to live with it [I used a reasonably high-quality Monster "mp3 Musicconnect cable, 7 ft. long....I have other cables, shorter, that I'll also try, but haven't done it yet]

OP
OP
ernie

ernie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
monster is overpriced.......

is there some setting on your mp3 player for output settings?

Only thing you can alter on output settings (other than volume, etc.) is whether to output to "headphones" or use the unit's quite useless internal speaker.

OP
OP
ernie

ernie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a 16 ohm speaker, that might have something to do with it. is there a usb for the mp3 player?

There is.....AFAIK, it's only for charging and file transfer.....it's also used as the LINE IN for a microphone. 'Course I could transfer files to the HDD in the trucks, but they're FLAC and AFAIK the truck software won't support it :(

'Appreciate the questions, as I'm sure there's something I haven't thought of :)