Am I crazy for wanting to purchase a high mileage gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Zaman

Zaman

Reaction score
My ‘21 is my daily with about 27.5k miles. Although a blast of fun driving it, I’m certainly not stacking up miles the way those guys are. To each their own.

Definitely do this. Be willing to travel outside your comfort zone.

For sure. I've been looking around the country. I think I'm going to move my budget up a bit, and go for something in the 20-40k mile range. I was searching the bottom of the barrel at first but the low 70s opens up a ton of good looking options.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a Ranger Raptor on order. Not sure when it will ever get pulled for production but it was supposed to have been first batch since I got the sole order at my dealer. Issue is they're charging $5,000 adm. With options that I want, that puts it around $64,000. As of right now, there are Gen 3 raptors popping up into the 65-69k range. I'd feel much better spending that kind of money (or a little more) on a truck if it was full-sized.

Friends think I'm losing my mind for wanting to spend around $65,000-$70,000 for a truck with 45-60k miles. My thing is, if they are in good clean shape, still have some warranty, or even are gold certified pre-owned- is it really that crazy? You guys here are probably stacking the miles having fun, how are your '21 Raptors fairing?
I would take a 20-50k mile gen 2 over a new ranger or gen 3.

very little difference between a gen 2 and gen 3 raptor when it all come to an end.

stoppard stop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take a 20-50k mile gen 2 over a new ranger or gen 3.

very little difference between a gen 2 and gen 3 raptor when it all come to an end.
Strongly disagree with the "very little difference" part.....actually the only thing that is unchanged is the motor, EVERYTHING else is different!

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘21 is my daily with about 27.5k miles. Although a blast of fun driving it, I’m certainly not stacking up miles the way those guys are. To each their own.

Definitely do this. Be willing to travel outside your comfort zone.
Make a road trip out of the purchase. Best way to experience the raptor. I took my Gen 2 from Maine to Georgia and California and back to Pennsylvania over its life. Great for the travel and loads of fun (especially after some mods / tuning / fun). I have a Gen 3 37 package now and will say the gas mileage is definitely worse and isn’t as convenient cruising at high speeds, but that’s not what it’s meant for either. As far as comfort goes though, you cant go wrong with a Gen 3 especially with the tech and conveniences it now comes with.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely stretch your budget to the Gen 3 if you find it in your ability to do so. You're getting a much more updated interior, better technology, a greatly improved suspension system, and the exhaust (when it doesn't rattle) sounds great for a V6. It's also been reported by most previous Gen2 owners that the Gen3s feel a bit quicker off the line - it often gets compared to a goosetuned gen 2. I can't see the value in a ranger raptor at that price point. You're within spitting distance of a truck that will perform significantly better in almost every metric other than size. That and you'll always have that thought in the back of your head that you should have gone for it but you didn't.

OP
OP
Zaman

Zaman

Reaction score
Well folks. As much as I wanted to stretch the budget up to the 70s, I verbally agreed a gold certified Gen 3 with 60k miles today at around $64,000. It's passed it's initial 172-pt inspection, passed a second inspection today that I asked them to do because I was anxious, and they gave it a paint correction and polish and it's looking great. Interior looks new, underbody looks clean and rust free. The miles are high-ish but.. with the warranties that come with gold certified, I'm comfortable doing it. Thing is a beauty. Black, beedlock capable wheels, and 801a package. They've serviced it today as well- oil, filters, tires rotated, rotors resurfaced, and I've asked them to do transmission service and spark plugs as well.

Was working the phones on ones in the 70s today with lower miles but this one keeps pulling me in. Would have signed the paperwork today had a storm not knocked the dealers power out lol.