GEN 2 Alternative to Pelican Boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been looking for a set-up for my bed for a while. I had a simple wood board bed divider for a while, and it just wasn’t getting the job done. I liked that I could tie stuff to it, and it did a great job anchoring things, but I needed something more.

I really liked the built right and Pelican set up @BSP10 is running, but for my needs I couldn’t justify spending the money for a Pelican box, with the metal box link anchors. (All in that set up is in the $600-$700 range, not including the built right racks.)

I don’t overland, or even really off road much. Th occasional trail drive, but that’s about it.

For me, the Raptor is a Mustang with room for 4 and a huge trunk. (It’s also pretty awesome not to have to use chains every time I go to Reno or Tahoe)

95%+ of the crap I haul is bowling gear for tournaments, tools and supplies for my track car, guns to and from the range, or groceries. (And the occasional piece of furniture the annoying neighbors need help with, because they own crap bucket Priuses.)

I spent about a month looking at a variety of cases and set-ups. You all were very helpful, even if you didn’t know it, because your build threads, and various photos showed me what I wanted or didn’t want, thanks.

I ended up going with Seahorse cases. Some of you guys may know these, because they seem popular for gun storage.

I have no affiliation with Seahorse or any of their distributors.

These cases are nice. Not quite as heavy duty as Pelican. The plastic seems a touch thinner. But the ribbing is well placed to support the boxes. The latches seem strong, and you can order them with built in metal locks. The cases also have a metal reinforced opening for another lock. These are the SE1220 model.

Overall, I am very happy with them so far. I do need to find a little better strapping solution, and to order a long cable to secure them in the truck. (I live in Ca where the scumbags out here literally steal stuff out of cars stopped at stop lights.)

As for the bed divider, I ditched my home made board, and sprung for the Ford bed extender/divider. For anyone considering this, I can also give it a positive endorsement. The instructions were crap, but the install was actually easy. It seems well built, and for what I need it for, it’s perfect.

I like the build quality of the Seahorses enough that I’m looking at a different version to use as a gun case.

I know this set up won’t work for everyone, but it does what I need it to. Happy to answer any questions.

1b75640d5d3105f3e2ac1ab1838ad9b0.jpg

9093d6b9e961ded7755975c5483dd580.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I like it.

95%+ of the crap I haul is bowling gear for tournaments, tools and supplies for my track car, guns to and from the range, or groceries. (And the occasional piece of furniture the annoying neighbors need help with, because they own crap bucket Priuses.)

Well, see, there’s your problem. you need to come up with better, canned excuses not to help.
I can’t because I’m volunteering teaching firearm proficiency to the minority community
Oh, sorry, busy that day with a voter registration drive
when is that? oh, my bad, helping my son’s boyfriend move in.
Darn! that’s the day I’m leading a greenpeace counter-protest
What, on national club a seal day?

you get the idea.

That’s some good organization in the bed.

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it.

Well, see, there’s your problem. you need to come up with better, canned excuses not to help.
I can’t because I’m volunteering teaching firearm proficiency to the minority community
Oh, sorry, busy that day with a voter registration drive
when is that? oh, my bad, helping my son’s boyfriend move in.
Darn! that’s the day I’m leading a greenpeace counter-protest
What, on national club a seal day?

you get the idea.

That’s some good organization in the bed.
Lol....unfortunately out here all those excuses would be like waiving an invitation. They’d probably want to come with me.

I’m actually pretty fortunate for a Californian. I live in one of the more conservative counties in the Bay Area. (Which is still pretty liberal.) But my neighbors are gun people, pro police, and good at keeping an eye on my house and cars when I’m not around. Could easily be worse.

With that said, not sure how much longer I can take it here. As I said in another thread; Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and Wyoming are calling, and I’m starting to listen.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just make sure to teach them good form.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fqph.fs.quoracdn.png

This is from the 90’s, and doctrine has changed a little. Now we use the 3/4 barrio / ghetto hold, rather than the 90 degree hold you see here.

But my neighbors are gun people, pro police, and good at keeping an eye on my house and cars when I’m not around. Could easily be worse.

Yeah, being from NoVA, that doesn’t last too long. Whether it’s guns, politics in general or some other issue, sooner or later it’s a clown show of you paying for everyone else’s preferences, quite literally. I probably don’t need to lecture you about taxes but that’s another element. I paid a thousand bucks for DC Metro on my house sale, wasn’t on any of my previous NoVA transactions, so they’re sneaky mofos.

With that said, not sure how much longer I can take it here. As I said in another thread; Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and Wyoming are calling, and I’m starting to listen.

AZ might be calling too, but that’s great and also great that you don’t think TX is calling because we’re full. Plus, being a CA transplant, you’d have to pay the neighborhood adjustment tax to compensate for dunking the neighborhood property values. It’s assessed on all new residents who either moved from or lived in CA in the last year.

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AZ might be calling too, but that’s great and also great that you don’t think TX is calling because we’re full. Plus, being a CA transplant, you’d have to pay the neighborhood adjustment tax to compensate for dunking the neighborhood property values. It’s assessed on all new residents who either moved from or lived in CA in the last year.

Lol...I have two friends who have moved to TX in the last 3 years. They both love it there and go out of their way to keep their Ca origins quiet.

AZ is a little warm for me.

NV has a sign on the freeway headed into Sparks that says, “welcome to NV, remember why you left Ca.” Its intended as a reminder to Ca transplants to leave their rushed life style, crappy attitude and politics behind.

Wherever I go, I’m there to assimilate, not change anyone.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you let us know where did you get your cases from and what you paid for them? I am looking for something like that for my bed also.

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you let us know where did you get your cases from and what you paid for them? I am looking for something like that for my bed also.
It was actually quite a task to find them, and get a decent price. I paid $397.50 for the two of them shipped, with the metal locking latches.

I bought from a supplier on eBay after shopping about 3-4 places on-line. Places with good prices had ridiculous shipping, and places with free or cheap shipping were more expensive.

If I had to do it again, I’d skip the locking latches. I needed to buy locks to secure the cable I’m using to deter theft from the truck (I also have a bed cover) so the locking latches ended up being redundant. I guess they’re good if I ever need to ship the box anywhere. The difference between locking and standard latches is about $10 per case, so not the end of the world.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seahorse-W...d=link&campid=5338805043&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. So far I like them quite a bit. They do take up a lot of space in the bed, but that’s the beauty of removable boxes with wheels, they’re easy to remove.