Air conditioning not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was hoping you would chime in.
I have checked for DTCs and I have none.
It's a 17 with build date 11/16.
Ok glad you checked first, I’m assuming you used ForScan? You should also be able to view PCM data to see if it’s inhibiting A/C operation.

Your truck falls within the build date range of a possible sticking/seized A/C clutch (before 01-December-2017). If the A/C is trying to be commanded on by the PCM but not engaging I’d start there. The clutch is serviceable separately from the compressor.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok glad you checked first, I’m assuming you used ForScan? You should also be able to view PCM data to see if it’s inhibiting A/C operation.

Your truck falls within the build date range of a possible sticking/seized A/C clutch (before 01-December-2017). If the A/C is trying to be commanded on by the PCM but not engaging I’d start there. The clutch is serviceable separately from the compressor.
I didn't check with forscan.... couldn't find my dongle. I used my ngauge and originally had a low pressure due to evacuating the system but cleared and went away when I tried to refill.
I was looking into the clutch assembly and was going to start there since the compressor is expensive!
I can turn Ac on and off and I can't hear the clutch kicking in and out. Would the seized clutch keep it from hearing it?
Would it be possible to do the clutch without pulling the compressor out?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't check with forscan.... couldn't find my dongle. I used my ngauge and originally had a low pressure due to evacuating the system but cleared and went away when I tried to refill.
I was looking into the clutch assembly and was going to start there since the compressor is expensive!
I can turn Ac on and off and I can't hear the clutch kicking in and out. Would the seized clutch keep it from hearing it?
Would it be possible to do the clutch without pulling the compressor out?
You can jump (fused) power and ground directly to the coil to see if it engages. If you don’t hear anything that confirms the clutch is failed.

Removal of the clutch unfortunately requires the compressor be removed from the vehicle.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the new clutch assembly is due in today so I figured I'd get a head start on the tear down this morning. Your rite @FordTechOne I tried to do it without pulling compressor out but wasn't going to happen. Atleast not for me. So pulled the compressor out and had it on the bench. Well figured out the problem... is the compressor suppose to have things rattling around inside of it and not be able to turn?!?
It is completely locked up. So now I have to get a whole new compressor! Sh*t!!

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well update. Received my new AC compressor and threw it in. I tell you I have the hardest time with them damn boost tubes and hot side piping when putting them back in. But got it in and recharges it back up with the proper amount of R134A and she is blowing ice cold air.
BTW I bought a refurbished AC compressor from R&Y AC compressors. The first one they sent was the wrong one. Called and spoke to them on the phone, sent some pictures, agreeded it was their fault and then over night a new one. It was identical to the one I took out. And on $220 bucks.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well update. Received my new AC compressor and threw it in. I tell you I have the hardest time with them damn boost tubes and hot side piping when putting them back in. But got it in and recharges it back up with the proper amount of R134A and she is blowing ice cold air.
BTW I bought a refurbished AC compressor from R&Y AC compressors. The first one they sent was the wrong one. Called and spoke to them on the phone, sent some pictures, agreeded it was their fault and then over night a new one. It was identical to the one I took out. And on $220 bucks.
i have bought a couple ac compressors from them.