aftermarket alternators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how your making the calculation to determine wattage... Usually automotive works in the term amperage... The calculations are Amp times volts equals watts. Are you going to spot planes with those 1000 watt lights?

I know of replacing the factory alternator to get a more stable voltage output have done a few of my own and a few customers. I got real friendly with the local alternator shop and he and I did several load tests on alternators available at the time. As a car stereo dealer I was faced with the horrible light dim when your sub woofer would pound out the noise. The best we found was a combination unit that had and internal and external voltage regulators. The problem we found with most was as you create a load they got hot.. For a short burst no problem internal units cooled and then got hot and cooled. This is what ultimately causes failure of the alternator. I would look for units that are both internal and external cooled OEM type that basically give you double the OEM unit. I ran that for more than 6 years without a failure, selling the car with it still working..

I have a short cut for how alternators work.. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FZdKUSdDhwubL5Q_A&sig2=mpE3bqLfAgZ1wS8A0Gs0Aw

OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how your making the calculation to determine wattage... Usually automotive works in the term amperage... The calculations are Amp times volts equals watts. Are you going to spot planes with those 1000 watt lights?

I know of replacing the factory alternator to get a more stable voltage output have done a few of my own and a few customers. I got real friendly with the local alternator shop and he and I did several load tests on alternators available at the time. As a car stereo dealer I was faced with the horrible light dim when your sub woofer would pound out the noise. The best we found was a combination unit that had and internal and external voltage regulators. The problem we found with most was as you create a load they got hot.. For a short burst no problem internal units cooled and then got hot and cooled. This is what ultimately causes failure of the alternator. I would look for units that are both internal and external cooled OEM type that basically give you double the OEM unit. I ran that for more than 6 years without a failure, selling the car with it still working..

I have a short cut for how alternators work.. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FZdKUSdDhwubL5Q_A&sig2=mpE3bqLfAgZ1wS8A0Gs0Aw

Thanks so much for the link and the bit about cooling! - made me dig around a bit more as well and understand alternators a bit better! My background is in the computer and electronics field and hence my thinking more in terms of wattage - but I think amps times volts is pretty universal :)

Not trying to light up planes - at least not while driving! My needs for driving are much more conservative than most of the rigs I have seen here - but often I have to idle for hours and have high amps needs for long periods of time for both lighting and operating computer equipment.

Obviously running a generator could be much more reasonable, however for me an upgrade would be more to minimize having to bring too much gear...lazy factor.

The external cooling makes a lot of sense! Is it a simple as just running a strong fan over the alternator or more along the lines of running a water cooling loop?

Thanks again for your feedback!

ran across a few post saying that the Raptor alternators are only 150amps:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/alternator-part-numbers-output-ratings-6841/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/alternator-output-6840/

From what I understand the efficiency of the alternators are a lot lower at idle lower revs- so depending on the efficiency the stock alternator might not be enough for my needs.

I read about some fried ECUs, on rigs with had some really sick lighting setups - can an underpowered alternator cause such issues

Last edited:

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't find any links on Google with someone who has dual alternators on the 6.2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk