aftermarket alternators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the final stages of planning my light setup and am currently researching alternators, thinking about going with a DC Power 270 Amp unit. Are there any other brands, models I should look into?

Not sure how many peeps are upgrading their alternators on their Raptors, but I am hoping to go an easy plug and play route like the DC Power unit.

Seen some crazy LED rigs lately - always wondering if ECUs, LED board etc. can get damaged from unpowered alternators?

Thanks for any recommendations for any other high output alternators that also don't put too much extra tax on the engine?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting a charge at idle will be an issue for that high of an alternator. at least it was in the past. wih all the room in the engine i would add a second one instead. any high strung, tightly wound alternator wont last nearly as long as the oem. i had a 260amp in my car for sound off competitions and it was dead in 2 years. this is one area where oem is better. i would get another oem alternator and build a bracket to mount in the engine bay along with another longer belt to accomodate it. alsoa voltage regulator will be needed. but its better to spend the money on this up front, rather than have it die on you when you are 300 miles from home....... ask me how i know.

OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting a charge at idle will be an issue for that high of an alternator. at least it was in the past. wih all the room in the engine i would add a second one instead. any high strung, tightly wound alternator wont last nearly as long as the oem. i had a 260amp in my car for sound off competitions and it was dead in 2 years. this is one area where oem is better. i would get another oem alternator and build a bracket to mount in the engine bay along with another longer belt to accomodate it. alsoa voltage regulator will be needed. but its better to spend the money on this up front, rather than have it die on you when you are 300 miles from home....... ask me how i know.

Thanks for you feedback! If you have been in sound off competitions you must know...but please - HOW DO YOU KNOW? :)

Did you by any chance test the DC Power 270 AMP XP alternator?

Their sales pitch blurbs something about 80% more efficient ( compared to "unknown" other alternator...)
These are the specs:

Mounting Type Direct fit to OEM Mounting
Output Voltage PCM Controlled
Idle Amperage 200
Hot Idle Amperage @ 200ºF 180
Max Amperage 270
Hot Max Amperage @ 200ºF 250
Pulley 6 Groove Hard Anodized 6061 Billet Aluminum
Doesn't affect vehicles PCM, Check Engine Light or Charge Light Yes - w/ Supplied Adapter Harness

Around 2,400 Watts at idle sounds like a lot! What can a stock alternator do at idle? Around 1,400Watts? If I remember correctly the Raptor comes with a 150amps alternator - correct?

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was coming home from visiting my friend in la. the car just lost power and was running rough. i ran off battery power for quite a few miles until i was able to find a gas station at which point, i spent the night in my car. my friend came up the next morning and we got my car on a towtruck back to la. i have not had any alternator last more than 3 years, however oem alternators will last quite a long time. check ohio generator. they are ones that have had good references.

OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was coming home from visiting my friend in la. the car just lost power and was running rough. i ran off battery power for quite a few miles until i was able to find a gas station at which point, i spent the night in my car. my friend came up the next morning and we got my car on a towtruck back to la. i have not had any alternator last more than 3 years, however oem alternators will last quite a long time. check ohio generator. they are ones that have had good references.

Argh - nothing worse than getting stranded in the middle of nowhere! Been there a few times myself!

I think ohio generator might be out of business actually. Found a few references across various forums that voice strong support for DC Power units - only neg I came across really was price...

I like the idea of two OEM units - has this been done on a raptor before?

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not that i have seen, but im sure someone has done it. i would check fitment of adding a second one and see if you can find someone to build a bracket or make your own. the electrical portion shouldnt be a problem, its just getting it to fit right.

OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oem is 155a 2100w/220a 3000w. im assuming thats idle/load.

page 7 and 8 for referance https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS/topics/2012/12_F150_SB.pdf

thanks so much for this! This sounds a lot better than I feared! 155a at idle would be sufficient! On a previous google search I only found some info of the non raptor F150s and read that they either came with 100a or 155a alternators.

Glo - How much current is your proposed light setup going to draw?

The lights will draw about 1000W - if I was to run them all at once...which I generally don't do. However I also have to run tons of electrical equipment and computers which will draw around 1500 watts.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I plan to do the alternator upgrade when I do the whipple install as its a bitch to remove/install the whipple and thanks to our alternator location requires removal.

Since I will be running fans on the HE and a larger pump in addition to the lights I would rather not run into having to swap it out after the fact.