Afe cai

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3rdRaptor

Reaction score
I'm not on this Furum to often yet I'm amazed how much information is available. My question is the AFE Cold Air Intake is $523.00. Just doing this alone would I see any gains in HP, Torque, MPG.

I know they make the Skorcher GT Module. However I'm not wanting to do this quite yet. So back to my original question,,, would the AFE CAI alone give me gains in HP, TORQUE, MPG?

Thank you.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I'm not on this Furum to often yet I'm amazed how much information is available. My question is the AFE Cold Air Intake is $523.00. Just doing this alone would I see any gains in HP, Torque, MPG.

I know they make the Skorcher GT Module. However I'm not wanting to do this quite yet. So back to my original question,,, would the AFE CAI alone give me gains in HP, TORQUE, MPG?

Thank you.

Very minimal. No one knows exact numbers because no dyno proof has been submitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

3rdRaptor

Reaction score
Very minimal. No one knows exact numbers because no dyno proof has been submitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did see the Hennessy CAI claims a 8hp increase. I'm only assuming that it is accurate.

I wonder what the Ford Performance $2,300 Exhaust with Carbon Fiber will do for HP, TORQUE, OR MPG? Or will it just sound deeper? Can't seem to find any hard data on that either..

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had one on my 2011 SCAB for several years. The reason I did it was because I did a search on Ford's parts site and discovered that every V6 and V8 truck of that vintage used the same intake parts. I'm sure that it saved Ford a ton of money, but my sense was that my 6.2L was trying to breath through the same straw as engines of just over half the displacement. A problem at normal throttle openings? No. But of course you don't buy a 6.2L fire breather because you intend to drive at only normal throttle openings.

I've never had the truck on a dyno, but my results are as follows:
- I get the same mpg as I did with the factory intake: between 15.5 and 16.0 mpg with an occasional 16.5. (Yes, I keep track.)
- A minor improvement in throttle response.
- A little more intake honk. (I like intake honk.)
That's it.

Remember that when you put on anybody's cold air intake you take the airflow sensor off the factory intake and install it on the new intake. That sensor only works in an intake tube that is the very same diameter as that of the factory intake tube at that point. There's your restriction - it'll be the same in all CAIs that don't require a tune to make them work.

Second, you can have too much intake. The bigger the intake, the slower the air velocity through it at any given throttle opening. And that means that the bigger the intake, the more likely it is to stall the airflow at modest everyday driving around throttle openings. Stalling the airflow is a bad thing.

So, is the cost worth it to you? Only you can decide.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intakes WILL add a little bit of power if there is more power to be had. It all depends on how much tuning the manufacturer did on the intake in the first place. I have installed them on everything from my diesel trucks to Chevy Tahoe's and 1500 trucks and there has always been a noticeable difference. Throttle response and of course the sound are what you'll notice the most if there is any performance benefit to be had. Ford may have spent a ton of money bench testing the factory setup to squeeze every last bit of power out of it.

TheProcessoperator

Reaction score
Being impatient waiting for a CAI to become available, I bought a regular old K&N airlifter. Could not notice a sound difference, but it seems I gained 1 or 2 mpg. Cant really say anything about a power difference.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had one on my 2011 SCAB for several years. The reason I did it was because I did a search on Ford's parts site and discovered that every V6 and V8 truck of that vintage used the same intake parts. I'm sure that it saved Ford a ton of money, but my sense was that my 6.2L was trying to breath through the same straw as engines of just over half the displacement. A problem at normal throttle openings? No. But of course you don't buy a 6.2L fire breather because you intend to drive at only normal throttle openings.

I've never had the truck on a dyno, but my results are as follows:
- I get the same mpg as I did with the factory intake: between 15.5 and 16.0 mpg with an occasional 16.5. (Yes, I keep track.)
- A minor improvement in throttle response.
- A little more intake honk. (I like intake honk.)
That's it.

Remember that when you put on anybody's cold air intake you take the airflow sensor off the factory intake and install it on the new intake. That sensor only works in an intake tube that is the very same diameter as that of the factory intake tube at that point. There's your restriction - it'll be the same in all CAIs that don't require a tune to make them work.

Second, you can have too much intake. The bigger the intake, the slower the air velocity through it at any given throttle opening. And that means that the bigger the intake, the more likely it is to stall the airflow at modest everyday driving around throttle openings. Stalling the airflow is a bad thing.

So, is the cost worth it to you? Only you can decide.

How on Earth you get 15-16mpg on your truck? ITs my second truck and I get 11.3 average with pedal commander CAI and no tune this time around.
You are 62yo may be that has something to do with it? lol