GEN 2 aFe Power Momentum XP Pro Question ***HELP!!***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DozerEO2

Reaction score
Recently I installed the aFe Power Momentum XP Pro cold air intake. The installation itself went off without a hitch. After giving the truck a few hard runs I noticed the absence of any turbo noise. I decided to check under the hood and low and behold the filter had been pushed completely into the filter housing! After thoroughly checking all my connections, the only thing I could think of was that the coupler to the passenger side turbo was too long. I've been in constant contact with Michael from aFe, who's been awesome to deal with thus far, and got permission to trim the coupler down by a half inch at a time. I'm at 1 inch at the moment. Has ANYONE come across this problem and if so, what was your solution? Assuming you found one. I have considered a bellows type coupler but have been told that the nature of the bellows slows the movement of air and that they only use them when absolutely necessary.....which I'm beginning to think is the case.
Any thoughts or suggestions, other than returning to stock, are immensely appreciated!!
Just a quick edit: The photo's below are of what happens after driving hard, NOT the completed or correct install.
aFe1.jpgaFe2.jpgaFe3.jpg

Last edited:

Rap19

Reaction score
IMG_2789.png
I have had this for 3 years and haven’t had any problems. I’m stage 2 tuned also. Make sure the rubber groove on the filter is seated properly on the air box ( yellow arrows ). ‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_2790.jpeg
    IMG_2790.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
DozerEO2

DozerEO2

Reaction score
View attachment 417608
I have had this for 3 years and haven’t had any problems. I’m stage 2 tuned also. Make sure the rubber groove on the filter is seated properly on the air box ( yellow arrows ). ‍♂️
Rap19, thanks for the reply. I'm stumped to be honest. Even Michael at aFe told me they have had no complaints of this nature. This install of the filter is pretty much idiot proof so I don't know if the filter is defective or if I am defective! LOL I have a friend of mine who is a mechanic and has done numerous upgrades to his Platinum go over it and he sees absolutely nothing wrong with the installation other than the passenger side coupler being jammed up against the temperature sensor, which it no longer is after trimming the coupler. If I come across a solution I will post it here in the off chance someone else runs in to this.
Thanks again.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rap19, thanks for the reply. I'm stumped to be honest. Even Michael at aFe told me they have had no complaints of this nature. This install of the filter is pretty much idiot proof so I don't know if the filter is defective or if I am defective! LOL I have a friend of mine who is a mechanic and has done numerous upgrades to his Platinum go over it and he sees absolutely nothing wrong with the installation other than the passenger side coupler being jammed up against the temperature sensor, which it no longer is after trimming the coupler. If I come across a solution I will post it here in the off chance someone else runs in to this.
Thanks again.
I think you missed his point.. your filters aren't seated in the groove of the airbox like his picture shows

OP
OP
DozerEO2

DozerEO2

Reaction score
I think you missed his point.. your filters aren't seated in the groove of the airbox like his picture shows
In the pictures in my original post, you're correct, they aren't. Please see the attached photo for the current state of the filter. LOL What the pictures in my original post are showing is what keeps happening when I curb stomp the skinny pedal. So, no, I did not miss his point but thanks for your input.

Attachments

• aFe4.jpg
    aFe4.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 18

JCSRaptor

Reaction score
Recently I installed the aFe Power Momentum XP Pro cold air intake. The installation itself went off without a hitch. After giving the truck a few hard runs I noticed the absence of any turbo noise. I decided to check under the hood and low and behold the filter had been pushed completely into the filter housing! After thoroughly checking all my connections, the only thing I could think of was that the coupler to the passenger side turbo was too long. I've been in constant contact with Michael from aFe, who's been awesome to deal with thus far, and got permission to trim the coupler down by a half inch at a time. I'm at 1 inch at the moment. Has ANYONE come across this problem and if so, what was your solution? Assuming you found one. I have considered a bellows type coupler but have been told that the nature of the bellows slows the movement of air and that they only use them when absolutely necessary.....which I'm beginning to think is the case.
Any thoughts or suggestions, other than returning to stock, are immensely appreciated!!
Just a quick edit: The photo's below are of what happens after driving hard, NOT the completed or correct install.
I have 2019 SC stage 2 tune running this exact AFE CAI setup. And the exact same thing is occurring. I have not found a solution. Not too worried as the filter is always there to make sure clean air is ingested. I suspect When I jump on the throttle the motor torque induces rotation aof the engine just enough to push the assembly inside the air plenum box. Or, I am sucking in so much air ( i am running Garrett Power max turbos) the open plenum feed cannot keep up with demand and the turbos literally suck the filter into the housing. Or a combination of both- high demand air draw and motor rotation.

I am all ears if you guys come up with a solution. When the filter is ducked into the plenum box the exhaust gets a little louder - actually sounds Pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter