Add 6" Rigid Driving Lights to Side Mirror Spotlight Switches??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of slim 6" Rigid SR-series Pro bars I removed from behind my grille that I'm wanting to mount on the side of my truck, for when I'm out at the ranch. I have the side mirror spots and switches, and want to see if I could tap 1 Rigid bar into each side switch(pictured), so they turn on with the side mirror spots. They only have an Amp draw of about 5 Amps per light. Anyone done this? Tips?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Side of Truck w 6-Inch Rigid on Bed.jpg
    Side of Truck w 6-Inch Rigid on Bed.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9571.jpg
    IMG_9571.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 21

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
200.gif

Everything in the Rap is networked and controlled by some sort of module. I took the hit for you here-

I tried to tap squadron -sports- into the bed light switch for power. It worked twice, then my bed and cabin lights went dark. No blown fuses.

Furious internet searching commenced and after about 20 minutes I was prodded to check for codes using FORSCAN. Sure enough, I set a BCM fault.

I cleared the codes with FORSCAN, problem cleared. So ended up making a home run and properly wiring in a relay, like I should have from the beginning.

There are a couple of hacks you can perform to light up those puddle lights without the speed restrictor. One of them is to bypass the switch speed cut off - documented in a few threads here, but the threads I saw used constant 12v which would leave the lights on if you forgot them.

If I were going to do something like what you had planned, using the puddle lamp switches, I’d probably cut in an up fitter for it. For me I would use the rock light up fitter and add in a relay for your lights.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use an automotive 12v relay and tap the trigger wire to the side mirror light. you only need one 12v relay per side.

the relay coil doesn't require a lot of amps so it wouldn't affect the side mirror light.

you can use smaller gauge wire to run the trigger wire through the cabin to the side mirror lights. get the 12v source from the trailer harness under the bed.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
use an automotive 12v relay and tap the trigger wire to the side mirror light. you only need one 12v relay per side.

the relay coil doesn't require a lot of amps so it wouldn't affect the side mirror light.

you can use smaller gauge wire to run the trigger wire through the cabin to the side mirror lights. get the 12v source from the trailer harness under the bed.
Be cautious here. This method of ‘triggering’ lights is not well liked by @FordTechOne who has warned of rather dire consequences as a potential outcome. IIRC, the issue is the current draw ‘range’ of the circuit as defined in the relevant computer module. If you exceed it you set a DTC, but, apparently if you do this multiple times it can “brick” the module.

That would be bad.

I seem to recall a prolonged discussion on this topic during the Jen Too years in which the topic was either tapping the high beam circuit to trigger aux lights or even tapping the headlight circuit for cutting in fog lights. I think the solid state relays are safer.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks smurfslayer, I think I will cut in a home run with a relay for each, to hopefully prevent any issues. Thanks.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On anything built probably after 2008ish I would have a hard time taping into factory wiring to trigger anything.

Ford gave aux switches for a reason (so you wouldn't E-PH it up).

It ain't your daddy's 1976 Ford.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On anything built probably after 2008ish I would have a hard time taping into factory wiring to trigger anything.

Ford gave aux switches for a reason (so you wouldn't E-PH it up).

It ain't your daddy's 1976 Ford.

Damn how I wish I could find my Dad's 1982 Ford Bronco! Navy Blue w Silver sides.........Loved that truck!

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Here’s an option.