AC / Belt Tensioner Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hopp150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is a new one, or at least I think it is. I've searched the forum and can't find anyone talking about this so here it goes.

I noticed last year when I bought the truck that when the AC compressor cycles there is a slight clunk and the engine bogs just a little. Nothing catastrophic, just enough to be annoying. With the AC off, as it was almost exclusively for the last 6 months the engine runs smooth. Well, now that it's warm again and I'm using the AC I've started to pay attention. Today I got a wild hair and thought I would check the truck while in park. What I found is that every time the AC cycled the tensioner would jump slightly. Just enough to tell that there was a load being put on it, not enough in my opinion to bog down the engine or create something you would feel in the cab. Then I had my wife bring the RPM up to 2000-2500 and cycle the AC, at this RMP the tensioner would jump significantly every time the AC compressor kicked on. My estimate is 1-1.5 inches.

SO, this brings me to my question. Has anyone experienced this? If not, would anyone mind running out to their truck and doing this very technical inspection?

Thanks.

Truck is a 2014 SCREW with 6800 miles.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First, the a.c. unit does put a load on the engine. Seeing the engine big down for a second is normal.

Second, the belt tensioner is suppose to flex and provide constant tension to the belt.

Now, I have has the tensioner go bad on my 2012. So have a few others on here. Doo if you think the movement is excessive, the tensioner could be going bad.

You should be able to pull into any Ford dealer and show someone what you see and they would be able to tell you if you need to have something replaced.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=868026

Big_Slick87

Reaction score
When I was working at Ford people complained when first turning on the A/C there was a loud "clunk/spring" type noise and the rpm's would fluctuate which is normal. This is due to the refrigerant oil draining down to the compressor when the vehicle has sat for awhile and the noise is caused by the compressor pushing it through the system causing the rpm fluctuating. They should be able to compare it to another
similar vehicle and tell you. But there's a chance that your tensioner could be an issue just like Yukon Joe has explained.

OP
OP
H

Hopp150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that the slight bog is normal as is an RMP fluctuation. What is not normal is at 70MPH going down the freeway the truck feels like it's missing every time the AC cycles. Thanks for the input, I'll swing it by the dealer this week.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm aware that the slight bog is normal as is an RMP fluctuation. What is not normal is at 70MPH going down the freeway the truck feels like it's missing every time the AC cycles. Thanks for the input, I'll swing it by the dealer this week.

I'm glad you'll be heading in to the dealer, Hopp150. You might want to take your tech along for a test drive so you can show them what you're experiencing. If you need my assistance, just give me a shout; I'll be happy to get your regional customer service manager involved.

Crystal

OP
OP
H

Hopp150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you'll be heading in to the dealer, Hopp150. You might want to take your tech along for a test drive so you can show them what you're experiencing. If you need my assistance, just give me a shout; I'll be happy to get your regional customer service manager involved.

Crystal

Wow! That was fast, thanks Crystal. This is a pretty obvious complaint so I don't anticipate too much trouble. I'll let ya know.

Thanks.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow! That was fast, thanks Crystal. This is a pretty obvious complaint so I don't anticipate too much trouble. I'll let ya know.

Thanks.

Sounds good, Hopp150! I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you need my help. :)

Crystal