7.0 Liter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question to everyone that believes this BS, why would you want a bigger heavier power plant in the Raptor. The current power plant gets a lot of power out of a small and light weight package. When manufacturers go into designing high performance vehicles they look and the true usage of them and what works best. In the case of the Raptor it would be Offroad racing capabilities. The current power plant delivers a lot of power with less weight. That gives them the ability to build a lighter vehicle with less weight, power to weight ratio. This is why the newer model will out perfume the previous model both on and Offroad.

If you are to change the power plant to the bulky 7.0 L like you are claiming the chassis and suspension would also need to be redesigned in order to give the same on and Offroad capabilities making it a much heavier vehicle. In today’s world manufactuers are going away from this. The ones that aren’t are fading out. If what the purpose of the Raptor is would be for Offroad performance you wouldn’t want an engine out of a dragster. Yes it has loads of power but would handle like shit Offroad due to the weight distribution and overall weight of the vehicle.

7 liter will be heavier yes. Especially if they go for an iron block. But then delete the turbochargers, intercooler, all the additional charge and exhaust piping, etc will counter some of the weight. If its an aluminum block then even more of a wash. I don't know what all the components weigh individually but they will add up. Additionally less chances of having turbo failures from road/off road debris. Haven't heard much if any of it but with turbo motor it is still a higher chance.

Ford could then tweak the specs of the frame and suspension to compensate as needed.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those are all probabilities if they were to go with the new 7.0. But back to one of the comments that I made previously. With all the changes that would need to happen to accommodate the new power plant other changes to the chassis, suspension, steering, etc would also need to take place. This all takes time to develop as well as money. I highly doubt Ford will do this at this point seeing the success they are currently having with the GEN2 model. Will it happen in a future GEN3, possibly but the business side of making a power plant swap at this point so early into a generation is highly unlikely. The may introduce a special edition model from say Shelby or Roush but not marketed as a Raptor.

This was the conversation I had with one of the Directors of Ford North America last week at the Houston Auto Show. We had a long converstation about the Raptor and my thoughts on it since I recently purchased one. Not going to mention his name since I am sure he would be getting calls if I did.

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He didn't say Gen 1 wasn't capable. He said Gen 2 was better both on and off-road, which it is. Weight is part of that reason, it's no coincidence that the lighter weight of the Gen 2 is brought up in virtually 100% of reviews.
He didn't? The Gen 1 has a bigger motor and is heavier....

If you are to change the power plant to the bulky 7.0 L like you are claiming the chassis and suspension would also need to be redesigned in order to give the same on and Offroad capabilities making it a much heavier vehicle. In today’s world manufactuers are going away from this. The ones that aren’t are fading out. If what the purpose of the Raptor is would be for Offroad performance you wouldn’t want an engine out of a dragster. Yes it has loads of power but would handle like shit Offroad due to the weight distribution and overall weight of the vehicle.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
7 liter will be heavier yes. Especially if they go for an iron block. But then delete the turbochargers, intercooler, all the additional charge and exhaust piping, etc will counter some of the weight. If its an aluminum block then even more of a wash. I don't know what all the components weigh individually but they will add up. Additionally less chances of having turbo failures from road/off road debris. Haven't heard much if any of it but with turbo motor it is still a higher chance.

Ford could then tweak the specs of the frame and suspension to compensate as needed.

Engine blocks of any material are heavy. Small, cheap, and light cars use turbos because turbo engines are small, light, and cheap.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Gen 1 had a big 6.2L V8 and seemed pretty capable off-road? Ram is talking about releasing a hellcat powered TRX?

Ram has nothing else they can offer. They have no funds to create new generations of their vehicles - they can't keep up with Ford and GM. All they can do is create Hellcat versions of their vehicles which means bloated, heavy cars and trucks with big power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.