5 Star Intake vs Airaid vs afe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Background: My work includes knowledge of statistical tools for SIx Sigma Projects. I had taught basic statistics for about two years to many in our work force of 2,200 employees.

Please forgive that this information is obtained from a non-Ford product. Please note that this non-Ford car will be traded for my Raptor when it arrives at the dealership.

Upon receipt of my 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (345 cu.in. Hemi), I began monitoring my gas mileage via actual tracking the miles run per fillup and the gallons purchased. I only used 93 octane. I used 10 fillups for my baseline. Though I don't have the data sheet within my reach at this time, the average mileage was around 19 mpg for combination city and highway conditions.

After getting a baseline, I purchased a CAI made by RotoFab and installed it in place of the stock intake. The RotoFab filter is a conical filter much like the ones mentioned in this thread. After repeated tests, ten more fillups, I noticed that I was averaging about 20 mpg. A statistical difference was shown via a 2-Sample t Test. (I can post the test results at a later date, if desired)

I did not have an aftermarket tune applied, I was running the stock tune.

Did I notice a performance improvement? Not that I could feel, apart from the sweet sucking sound at WOT.

IMO, the reduction in pressure drop across the intake added in improved efficiency. I do believe that a tune would have taken advantage of the pressure drop reduction to generate more power, whereas without the tune there is only an economical improvement.

Regrets: I wish that I had dyno'd the car before and after. And ideally, these tests should be done for a full year to account for the difference between the winter and summer blends of gas (BTU/gal).

BTW, I plan to do the same test with my Raptor when it arrives, but with my Raptor I do plan on adding the 5 Star tune after completing the economical test (20 fillups: 10 before and 10 after intake installation)

Based on your 1 mpg gain how many miles will you need to drive to recoup your intake investment?

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But you have me a little interested.
I have put about 35,000 miles on my Challenger since I had the CAI installed.
At 19 mpg it would have consumed 1842 gallons of gas.
At 20 mpg it consumed 1750 gallons of gas.

That's a difference of 92 gallons.
Let's assume that I paid $3.50 per gallon, which would total $322.00.
I paid $329.00 for the Roto Fab CAI.

So, if my assumptions are correct, I am $7.00 short of recouping my investment.

I'm about 760 miles away from paying for the CAI.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deinonychus Background: My work includes knowledge of statistical tools for SIx Sigma Projects. I had taught basic statistics for about two years to many in our work force of 2 said:
We used to call it Sick Sigma!!! lol

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
But you have me a little interested.
I have put about 35,000 miles on my Challenger since I had the CAI installed.
At 19 mpg it would have consumed 1842 gallons of gas.
At 20 mpg it consumed 1750 gallons of gas.

That's a difference of 92 gallons.
Let's assume that I paid $3.50 per gallon, which would total $322.00.
I paid $329.00 for the Roto Fab CAI.

So, if my assumptions are correct, I am $7.00 short of recouping my investment.

I'm about 760 miles away from paying for the CAI.

Much faster than I would have guessed.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming the 1mpg gain stayed to with the raptor. You would recover your money even faster due to the higher percentage of your gain.