5.4l?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO what are your thoughts then...

Build up the 5.4 into a beast, or go all out and get a crate motor, tube the front-end, and relocate a lot of crap to the bed of the truck??

Andy@Livernois

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, so here's an open ended question for you guys.

We've got several 5.4L engines on here.

My personal goals are 650 bulletproof bhp at the crank. I want to do it in two stages:

1. Bolt-on mods to get me to 450
2. All-out to get me to 650 when the warranty runs out

I'd prefer that the mods I make in the first phase not have to be replaced for the second. I'd also like to avoid any forced induction.

What are your thoughts? Can this be done? Can you give a ROM on cost?

With the 5.4 unfortunately even doing heads, cams, headers, cai, etc would probably only get you close to this HP target, and would lose some low end torque, which is the last thing you would want to do with this truck. Definitely doing headers, cai, etc would be beneficial, but would not get you even remotely close to the target HP figure, and with being in CA it would never pass emissions (legally) with a long tube. If it were my own truck, I would look at retrofitting the edelbrock e-force supercharger for the standard f150 5.4 for use with the Raptor. This would give you a great increase in TQ, as well as HP. While it may not be 50 state legal, it would have a much greater chance of passing than headers would.

No long tubes aren't out he can't use the Stainless Works cats. The long tubes aren't the problem is the cats. Magnaflows cats are 50 state legal.

While their direct replacement cats may be legal in all 50 states, their universals are not legal for use on obd-II vehicles, and unfortunately the law states that you cannot legally remove properly functioning cats, and if you do replace them due to failure they must be mounted in the exact same location as the production pieces. This would prohibit the legal use of any longtube unfortunately. Regardless of who's cat was used.

Now me personally, I would do long tubes anyways, there are always ways around these things, even in CA ;)

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was in helping build 5.4 2valves I dealt with more than a handful of Livernois cnc heads. The cnc work was very nice. They took the extra time to debur edges and little things like that. There were a couple customer service and shipping mishaps, but the product was great. Also a little pricey. I wouldn't hesitate to order parts from them again however.

IIRC off the top of my head the OEM MLS gasket is .039 compressed thickness and I wouldn't really go any less than that due to the ease of tearing the MLS during head/block shifting and movement. Of course I'm probably over worrying because I'm so use to forced induction applications. Also if you plan to build your short block and go with an aftermarket piston to up your c/r, depending on how high your pistons sit in the hole, you will want to utilize the thicker gaskets to maintain a minimum quench area of .035 in my opinion.

There are plenty of aftermarket engine combinations that can be had for relatively cheap. Boring and and/or stroking are possibilities. You can run a Kellogg aftermarket forged crank (manufacturers of OEM Cobra cranks) in a 4.350" stroke and with a ~6.900" rod that would yield an approx. 345-349ci depending on your bore size from 3.552-3.582". Other than the extra cost of the crank (5.4 forged Ford ~350, Kellogg ~700) this wouldn't really cost any extra because you would already be ordering custom pistons and rods. All the while this new rod length and stroke will net you a tad better rod/stroke ratio.

Next you can run a billet 4.415" stroke crank and that would yield a ~351ci displacement with a near standard bore.

Then you can looking into going "big bore". I have this application. You can either use Darton wet sleeves or purchase a SHM aluminum block with a 3.7" bore and without adding a stroker crank at all this would net you 358ci. This is more expensive due to having to modify your NVH block or purchase an aftermarket alumi one.

Then you can mix the combos.

Re-cap:
3.552" bore w/ 4.165" stroke = 330ci.
3.552" bore w/ 4.350" stroke = 345ci.
3.552" bore w/ 4.415" stroke = 351ci.
3.700" bore w/ 4.165" stroke = 358ci.
3.700" bore w/ 4.350" stroke = 375ci.
3.700" bore w/ 4.415" stroke = 380ci.

I've seen every one of these combinations run (plus a couple extremely one off custom setups) and to be honest the 358ci and the 351ci seemed the strongest IMO.

BTW, did anyone call dibs on your old parts yet Tank lol? FFS

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it were my own truck, I would look at retrofitting the edelbrock e-force supercharger for the standard f150 5.4 for use with the Raptor. This would give you a great increase in TQ, as well as HP. While it may not be 50 state legal, it would have a much greater chance of passing than headers would.

Retrofit standard F-150 kit? I'm pretty sure Edelbrock makes a 2010 50-state legal E-force kit for the 5.4 Raptor?

Andy@Livernois

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Retrofit standard F-150 kit? I'm pretty sure Edelbrock makes a 2010 50-state legal E-force kit for the 5.4 Raptor?

Last I spoke with them they had not verified fitment. They make a 4wd f150 kit, and it would be great if it works as is (and I see no reason it wouldn't) but until we, or edelbrock confirm I would agree with the term retrofit as it may need some additional work/fabrication to fit.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last I spoke with them they had not verified fitment. They make a 4wd f150 kit, and it would be great if it works as is (and I see no reason it wouldn't) but until we, or edelbrock confirm I would agree with the term retrofit as it may need some additional work/fabrication to fit.

Some of the pics in their install instructions look like they are Raptor-specific and someone posted they've seen a Raptor in the LA area with the kit... but until it's verified to fit and work properly on a Raptor I would agree with you.

Thanks for the comment!

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I bumped into a guy in Manhattan Beach who said he gave his Raptor to Edelbrock for a month while they got the supercharger working. He still has it, and says he loves it.

I gotta read this thread again and internalize everything. 2,000 miles to go till the warranty is out. =D