GEN 2 5.2 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ummm - you do realize everyone running a tune alone on these trucks is DD'ing a (roughly) 500-550 bhp 560-620tq truck to begin with right? I'm running a gearhead tune & I wouldn't be surprised if it added another 75hp to the rear wheels. There are dyno sheets out there showing mild bolt-on Raptors w/ tunes making 450-475whp & 540-570rwtq - that translates into around 550 @ motor. I don't even know if my truck notices the extra power, I haven't told it yet, but it seems to shrug it off just fine lol!!

As other mentioned, you have 600hp Gen 1's out there w/ the weaker frames/trannies & they're doing OK, I'd say the platform can "handle" it - but put it to any kind of good use on road or off not so sure about that

Im talking about serious power and over doing it possibly. Unless the truck was very capable of handling it from the design. Somewhere like 700-800HP

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
That's what matters to you. Others do want faster acceleration, or better towing power at 7000 FT.

Again, there is NO reason you cannot modulate a supposedly "overpowered" engine with your right foot. If you don't need it, don't put it to the floor. It's that simple.

I'm talking in the context of a full build.

If the truck is like most and sees 95% street and is destined for no more than maybe a shock upgrade, by all means...

I firmly believe that ford producing any volume of 800hp raptors will just mean that I am gonna need to learn how to fix them. ( and carry driveshafts, axle shafts and iwes in quantity on Baja runs.)

I can't imagine that ford's current IWE design will hold up to that sort of power unless the programming in the PCM nannies the truck furiously.

I also do not believe that the rear axle will hold that kind of power either.

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And for my first the 350 should do me fine and looks like will be somewhat of a bargain. :)
Do it!! Yesterday!! If I wasn't such a dope earlier in life with money, I would have one of my two GT350s in the driveway right next to the Raptor. I've driven a TON of sports cars, exotics etc and owned various M3s, Camaros, etc and nothing did everything as fantastically as the Shelby GT350. And for me, the manual gearbox was just a must have as you're only steering if you don't have to shift your own gears with a clutch pedal, not actually driving!!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im talking about serious power and over doing it possibly. Unless the truck was very capable of handling it from the design. Somewhere like 700-800HP
550+bhp is serious power lol!

i get it- hp/TQ figures aren’t as eye popping as they used to be, but Jesus man just running 93 octane alone seems to give a 30whp bump on these Raptors - do I think you could USE all the power on the street or offroad? Hell no. Would the truck as it sits now just implode itself if it had 750bhp? Don’t necessarily think so- that’s about 650 to the wheels? There are guys running that. Matter of fact- call
Up Gearhead ask what kinda power gen2 Raptors are making w/ their updated turbos.

LoL @ “handle” the power, it’s a 1/2 ton Baja truck the frame ain’t gonna twist! My vette has 650whp it doesn’t seem to care much....def modded but basically stock tranny/diff/axles/block/driveshaft. No breaking.

I think the F150 & raptor in particular w/ the beefier frame & shock mounts is plenty robust to handle big power- but again- getting any use out of all
Of it? I doubt that.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I absolutely agree on a stock or mostly stock truck, I think there is a "line".

Once you go full-on build and the truck doesn't telegraph when you're about to *** it up anymore, there is such a thing as too much power.

Hell, 6100s top out at what, 525hp?

It ain't about how fast you can accelerate, but how much speed you can carry.

And while it may be an unpopular opinion, I am not a fan of forced induction on a desert truck. Its just more crap to break in the middle of nowhere.

The next motor for my truck will be a NA V8 and the target is 550-600whp on a 91 octane tune.

PLENTY of GM crate motors to choose from if that’s what you’re looking for. Ford? Not so much.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
PLENTY of GM crate motors to choose from if that’s what you’re looking for. Ford? Not so much.

My engine dude says that getting what I'm seeking out of a gen3 coyote with heads, some custom grind cams, headers, throttle body, and a dialed tune is entirely possible.

he feeds his family building motors, so until he's proven wrong, I'm going with it.

maybe I'll do a fueling upgrade and throw some juice to the mix for WOT fun if the motor alone doesn't get me all the way there.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
550+bhp is serious power lol!

i get it- hp/TQ figures aren’t as eye popping as they used to be, but Jesus man just running 93 octane alone seems to give a 30whp bump on these Raptors - do I think you could USE all the power on the street or offroad? Hell no. Would the truck as it sits now just implode itself if it had 750bhp? Don’t necessarily think so- that’s about 650 to the wheels? There are guys running that. Matter of fact- call
Up Gearhead ask what kinda power gen2 Raptors are making w/ their updated turbos.

LoL @ “handle” the power, it’s a 1/2 ton Baja truck the frame ain’t gonna twist! My vette has 650whp it doesn’t seem to care much....def modded but basically stock tranny/diff/axles/block/driveshaft. No breaking.

I think the F150 & raptor in particular w/ the beefier frame & shock mounts is plenty robust to handle big power- but again- getting any use out of all
Of it? I doubt that.

I'm Switzerland here, so don't hate me, but I don't know that I've seen anyone driving a stock raptor that can effectively use all of the power that it has off of the lot when offroad.

I'm not totally certain what most people think they'll get from a monster horsepower desert truck ( "monster" to me would be something over 800hp) because my truck runs out of suspension way faster than it runs out of engine power. As I become a better driver, I can put more of the power to good use, but I still like "wringing it out" and hearing the motor bang off the limiter sometimes.

I do that because to me, it equates to screaming "hell yes" and its fun.

If anything, I wish the manual shifting wasn't so lazy in the truck. I'd take a faster shifting manual mode and paddles that stay static when the wheel is turned before I asked for any additional horsepower.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My engine dude says that getting what I'm seeking out of a gen3 coyote with heads, some custom grind cams, headers, throttle body, and a dialed tune is entirely possible.

he feeds his family building motors, so until he's proven wrong, I'm going with it.

maybe I'll do a fueling upgrade and throw some juice to the mix for WOT fun if the motor alone doesn't get me all the way there.

He's probably correct on a very ambitious dynojet, but w/ the type of heads/cam swap it'd take to make that power it'll lose alot of "around town manners" if ya feel me. And ALL the hardware is 4x the cost!!!! WAY WAY WAY fewer options out there too. One cam, one set of lifters, push rods, valve guides etc. lol - I'm not entirely dumping on Ford V8s - if you were keeping motor mostly stock & planned on topping it off w/ a blower - then yeah that would make sense. But if your goal is to "keep it simple stupid" & have a more trouble free engine while off the grid AND one that's easier to work on & find more aftermarket part support - then no question, you want a Chevy LSx/LTx crate motor.

If ya don't care too much about extra weight (& honestly I wonder how much a performance heads/cams package would add in weight over a stock Coyote V8?) the Chevy LSX 454 weighs about 120 lbs more....mostly due to an FE block....but its just a basic brute of an engine SOHC 620hp/590TQ & a SINGLE CAM swap will net ya another 50 HP fo sho, give it a nice HD rad for peace of mind if in hot climate, but that sombitch will outlive anything else on the truck if ya treat it right.

Haha - ford "camsssss" swap

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm Switzerland here, so don't hate me, but I don't know that I've seen anyone driving a stock raptor that can effectively use all of the power that it has off of the lot when offroad.

I'm not totally certain what most people think they'll get from a monster horsepower desert truck ( "monster" to me would be something over 800hp) because my truck runs out of suspension way faster than it runs out of engine power. As I become a better driver, I can put more of the power to good use, but I still like "wringing it out" and hearing the motor bang off the limiter sometimes.

I do that because to me, it equates to screaming "hell yes" and its fun.

If anything, I wish the manual shifting wasn't so lazy in the truck. I'd take a faster shifting manual mode and paddles that stay static when the wheel is turned before I asked for any additional horsepower.

I'm no offroad here & live in MA so when I do go offroad its much different terrain - but 1000% agree, as good as the Raptor is offroad in factory form - the STOCK HP easily will outrun the stock suspension offroad. That's a fact. So yeah - wtf you gonna do w/ 650+HP? Bottom the F outta the suspension & Smash ya head on the roof that's what lol