2022 Gen 3 Soft Paint, FORD you should be ashamed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slaptor911

Reaction score
I’ve had my 2022 since January 2023. Rapid red. In 3000 miles of driving, 100 miles offroad, I’ve got no less than 8 rock chips on the hood. All are down to the white undercoat. @Ford should be ashamed.

I drove my Jeep Gladiator 55,000 miles. 10,000 off road miles. 1 windshield replaced and 2 rock chips on the hood.

Not trying to bash, but what the hell on a $85,000 off road truck.

Anyone know anyone in San Diego to make this right. Maybe a clear wrap on the front.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll want to use a touch up pen before you put the wrap on. The rock chips will show up more pronounced unfortunately. Just fyi

I dont have any chips on my 2022 but I do have some areas where the clear coat wasn’t sprayed evenly on the doors. There’s a spot where the paint almost feels like a matte paint because of how little clear cost was applied. I didn’t do anything to fix it but definitely annoyed me when I found it.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No disrespect.

I am not sure what the real issue here is brother? I don't buy sun glasses and then complain that I have finger marks on it. I did that.

Now if the engine blows the hell up, yeah get mad, its warrantied. Paint is not warranted and isn't there an option to have it wrapped in the glorious clear protector at the dealer?

Nate19

Reaction score
I noticed my silver ‘23 has been far more susceptible to showing rock chips than my 14 or 18 Raptors. You may be onto something with paint quality.

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in ppf. Had it on the last few vehicles. My truck is rapid red also and within a week or so I had a chip on the hood before I could get the film done. Touched it up and its not overly noticeable now but if you have several you'll want to touch them up or possibly repaint the hood prior to doing film if you go that route. Not really any other option against rock chips unfortunately.

As a detailer, I see issues with paint increasing over the last several years. Thin areas, runs, sanding marks, etc seem to be the norm anymore.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
all paint on cars since pandemic aside from like porsches are crap. You should see some of the current fords... they dont even paint/clear under the hood and dont clear the door jambs all the way...

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where can you get the correct paint pen from besides the dealer? I’m looking to get one for my OW but would rather not pay dealer prices.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '23 has way more rock chips than my 2020 ever had. That being said, it doesn't bother me. It's getting used off-road and to be expected, and paint should be the only thing "potentially" better on your gladiator than Raptor. I'm still a believer that spending $7,000-$12,000 for XPEL PPF is beyond a rip off, so I've accepting living with rock chips.