2020 Sync 3 Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps another example of Ford choosing not to integrate things - The Sync unit cannot connect to the onboard WiFi (if you subscribe to the service) - how dumb is that? Ford purposely blocks that connection. I spoke to someone at AT&T who said that was unique to Ford - they didn't trust how much data the OTA may consume.

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WiFi is there for those that need a connection for a laptop for business use or a slew of other uses depending on your needs. Children aren't necessary but they are desirable.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps another example of Ford choosing not to integrate things - The Sync unit cannot connect to the onboard WiFi (if you subscribe to the service) - how dumb is that? Ford purposely blocks that connection. I spoke to someone at AT&T who said that was unique to Ford - they didn't trust how much data the OTA may consume.
This. One of the dumbest design decisions.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This. One of the dumbest design decisions.

This sounds like flat out stupidity. Ford is worrying about the hotspot your paying a monthly activation using too much data from the Sync side? Well the lack of this integration is one reason I may never activate it. I can just use the hotspot on my phone, but there may be cases for using the onboard hotspot.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like flat out stupidity. Ford is worrying about the hotspot your paying a monthly activation using too much data from the Sync side? Well the lack of this integration is one reason I may never activate it. I can just use the hotspot on my phone, but there may be cases for using the onboard hotspot.

I don't mean to take this thread off-topic, but I do have the WiFi service activated because of my kids - the younger ones have wifi -only devices. Everyone's circumstance are different - but the hotspot on my phone is not unlimited dat - the WiFi in the car is unlimited. Much better results when the kids watch Netflix or Youtube.

And Fords decision is plain stupid - although I am willing to hear their side of the story if they would share it. I've asked everywhere I can think of on the Ford side - I was lucky enough to meet an AT&T guy that covers their automobile services who shared why he thought Ford was different than the other automakers in this regard.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the LTE service activated as well. I thought the $10 monthly cost wasn’t too bad. But to have it crippled to not enable the Sync kinda takes a lot of utility out of it. You also can’t have the Sync system download updates thru this service. I do use it for my ****** MAX 360c connected Radar Detector so that works.

RexDad

Full Access Member
Reaction score

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
guys,

If you DO NOT forcibly block the Infotainment system from using the 4G modem, you essentially create a back door into being able to remote control the damn vehicle.

you realize that with the right information, shutting down an Audi while it does 80 mph in the lane next to you is possible with an internet connection and a laptop, RIGHT?

You don't even want to know just how easy it is to get into motion control systems on public transportation vehicles. It terrifies me every time that I travel.

A friend of mine even presented what he found to a senate committee, 7 years ago. Think anything has been done to correct it? nope.

The way ford has it set up, you can operate the door locks, and can start and stop the motor while all other systems are "sleeping". This is also why you still need to have the Fob in the truck and need to tap the ignition button to bring the balance of the systems up when you remote start the vehicle ( by any of the available means).

Ford essentially employs 2-factor authentication, just like any other network that gives a remote shit about unauthorized access.

This is also why you can steal an Audi with a cellphone and a radio transmitter. If you boost the signal enough, you can even skim the correct information from a dormant remote a mile away, boost it, and have someone else press the start button in the Audi and get it to start.

The intersection of "ease of access" and security will always be something that folks find an issue with. I'm sure needing a password with special characters ****** more people off than not.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to shut off your car via the app while the car is in drive or is driving? It doesn’t work.

If the car gets stolen via some high tech method via internet hacker (or low tech method via a tow truck), you have insurance. You can’t stop a determined thief.

You gotta stop worrying and live. Put away the tin foil hats. All the videos “proving” how easy it is to hack into a car look staged. It sure does excite some people though.