GEN 2 2017 raptor New engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HtxRaptor_

Reaction score
Took in my raptor in to the mechanic shop for a check engine light. They ended up telling me I will need a new engine. they stated that one of their technicians found multiple faults dealing with timing issues and told me typically when the engine begins to have issues with the timing system it is likely that the oil galleries have become plug causing oil pressure issues throughout the engine and recommended me replace it. any recommendations for me to do before I actually put a new engine in it?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.
Pictures. Or it’s really a prius.

what codes got set is a good start. Do you have FORSCAN? that will let you pull ( and clear ) DTC’s.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How often do you change your oil? If it’s done regularly then I call BS.

Again, what codes did they pull?

OP
OP
HtxRaptor_

HtxRaptor_

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.
Pictures. Or it’s really a prius.

what codes got set is a good start. Do you have FORSCAN? that will let you pull ( and clear ) DTC’s.

It's a hole bunch of codes they told me Sadly and no I do not have a FORSCAN Should I?

P0174
P0018
P0021
P0365
P0369
P0345
P0349
P052C
P1674

OP
OP
HtxRaptor_

HtxRaptor_

Reaction score
How often do you change your oil? If it’s done regularly then I call BS.

Again, what codes did they pull?
Pretty often sometimes don't even let it past 5,000 miles.

And this are all the codes:
P0174
P0018
P0021
P0365
P0369
P0345
P0349
P052C
P1674

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the oil was changed every 5k miles with a high quality filter and semi or full synthetic oil then it is extremely unlikely there is sludge buildup in the engine.

DTCs P0345, P0349, P0365, P0369, are all indicative of the PCM intermittently losing control of camshaft timing on both banks.
P0018 and P0021 are related as well, they set when the timing advance/retard has deviated from the commanded duty cycle.

Both sets of DTCs are typically the result of low oil level starving the VCT solenoids. Has the oil level been verified?

OP
OP
HtxRaptor_

HtxRaptor_

Reaction score
If the oil was changed every 5k miles with a high quality filter and semi or full synthetic oil then it is extremely unlikely there is sludge buildup in the engine.

DTCs P0345, P0349, P0365, P0369, are all indicative of the PCM intermittently losing control of camshaft timing on both banks.
P0018 and P0021 are related as well, they set when the timing advance/retard has deviated from the commanded duty cycle.

Both sets of DTCs are typically the result of low oil level starving the VCT solenoids. Has the oil level been verified?
Yes I check oil levels after i change the oil. And I use pennzoil platinum and I put the factory oil filter. Should I upgrade the filter?

And yeah I just order new phasers and timing chain the whole kit let's see if that fixis something.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes I check oil levels after i change the oil. And I use pennzoil platinum and I put the factory oil filter. Should I upgrade the filter?
Motorcraft filter is fine, stick with that. So you verified the level after changing the oil, but have you checked it since then? 2017 models have a service bulletin for excessive oil consumption through the PCV system; when the oil level gets low, the DTCs you posted will set.

And yeah I just order new phasers and timing chain the whole kit let's see if that fixis something.
Those parts may have been damaged by low oil level, but they won’t address an oil supply issue caused excessive wear on the top end of the engine. Before replacing those parts, pull the valve covers and remove the forward cam caps (mega caps) on each bank. If the journal is scored enough to catch a finger nail, they cylinder heads will need to be replaced. At that point a long block may be the cheaper option.