2016 [2017*] Raptor test mule spy shots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just bought an ecoboost FX4 and sold my raptor. I am now doing a raptor conversion on the FX4. I thought the same thing but.......... The ecoboost has proven to be a very reliable motor capable of many miles, my ecoboost gets far better mileage than my raptor, (18mpg my last tank with 33+" tires) and I can smoke raptors or platinum 6.2L trucks at will. I am planning intake, exhaust, and a dyno tune that will reliably put 450hp to the ground. Not bad for $2500 in engine upgrades. The truck feels 1000lbs lighter. Don't take my word for it, go drive one. I did and now I am building an ecoraptor.

When things sound too good to be true, they usually are. To put things in a different perspective, a close friend of mine owns a stock SuperCrew Lariat Plus w/ the 6.2L and 3.73 gears. I've been in the truck for races against 3.5L EcoBoost trucks and they're neck and neck; from a start it depends on who gets the cleaner launch and from a roll it depends on what speed and what gear/RPM each truck is at... wins are usually about 50/50 either way. I've raced him in my SCAB 6.2L Raptor and unless he totally botches the start, he'll beat me every time, but not by a ton and he definitely doesn't "smoke" me; 0-100 he's usually about 2-3 truck lengths ahead. I guess it's subject to opinion, but in my opinion, to "smoke" someone generally means to blow their doors off and literally leave them in the dust.

Exactly what intake, exhaust, and tune mods do you have planned for $2500? That sounds pretty high unless it's a full exhaust including headers and installation is included in that price. Also, 450 RWHP seems a little optimistic considering that the stock 3.5L EcoBoost is putting out sub-300 RWHP figures. It generally takes quite a bit more than $2500 to get 150+ horsepower to the ground, but I'm curious to hear what you have planned.

I'm not trying to knock the 3.5L EcoBoost as I think it's a very respectable engine.

Last edited:

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just bought an ecoboost FX4 and sold my raptor. I am now doing a raptor conversion on the FX4. I thought the same thing but.......... The ecoboost has proven to be a very reliable motor capable of many miles, my ecoboost gets far better mileage than my raptor, (18mpg my last tank with 33+" tires) and I can smoke raptors or platinum 6.2L trucks at will. I am planning intake, exhaust, and a dyno tune that will reliably put 450hp to the ground. Not bad for $2500 in engine upgrades. The truck feels 1000lbs lighter. Don't take my word for it, go drive one. I did and now I am building an ecoraptor.

Interested in your fuel mileage after the changes. My guess is that you won't be at 18mpg

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I applaud the Eco-cheerleaders for your loyalty to all things "Eco", but how can you really promote Ecoboost as a "proven" and "very reliable motor capable of many miles." How big is the sample size of "proven" reliability? Just how many is "many miles"? A hundred-thousand, half-a-million? Under what driving conditions? I'm content to spend a little more at the pump while all the Eco-homers do Ford's R&D.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc