2016 [2017*] Raptor test mule spy shots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wvraptor13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think no matter what engine it has the Gen2 will be amazing. I think we are all too quick to judge, let's remember it's being designed and developed by the same company that brought you the bad ass truck in your driveway. They did so with gas prices soaring, a terrible economy, and everyone "going green". The next raptor that Ford/SVT releases will kick ass.... I'm just a little nervous how much the ass kicker is going to cost.

ofcbarbrady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2,000 pounds my ass -- Horsepowerkings needs to lay off the **** for awhile. I wouldn't mind the 5.8 Trinity in N/A form (although I wouldn't mind the supercharger too).

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who gives a shit about fuel economy on this pig? That's NOT why I bought...

They've got one scenario possible - Improve on the current model - PERIOD. They credited the Raptor to begin with - we WILL not be disappointed.

I'm not worried - but it's fun to speculate!

Black Oval

Reaction score
Im just in awe of how many morons post on this forum....

"Its ugly"

"Its a mule"

"Nothing lines up"

"Its a mule"

"The shocks look weird"

"Its a mule"

"There's no badging"

"Its a mule"

"Im not buying that"

"Its a mule"

"The bumpers dont line up"

"Its a mule"

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how 'stuck' on the V8 a number of people are.

I own a 14 Raptor SCREW and a 12 Ecoboost (3.5L) SCREW Long box 4x4 with a 3.73 rear end Lariat loaded and my wife liked my 12 so much she went and got a 13 Eco Platinum w/the same spec's.

I've now towed with both (could say all three). The Ecoboost wins plain and simple. Faster off the line and tows better. On hills my Eco would downshift to 5th, the Raptor would downshift to 3rd.
The Ecoboost is much quieter, while some may like the engine noise over time it gets old hearing the drone of the engine and yes I know the engine drone vs tire noise.

Granted my Eco is tuned, which in runs much better, but on these towing tests I put in back to stock a couple hundred miles prior to testing and my wife's has never been tuned. I've even tried using tow haul mode on the Raptor, which it helped some, but the Eco still wins.

Just look at the factory specs, but the Torque really tells the story
HP
411 @ 5500 rpm (6.2L V8)* Using 93-octane fuel.
365 @ 5000 rpm (3.5L EcoBoost®)
Torque
434 @ 4500 rpm (6.2L V8)* Using 93-octane fuel.
420 @ 2500 rpm (3.5L EcoBoost®)

Within 14 lb/ft at 2000 less RPM...

Interesting 6.2 posted using 93, why wasn't the Eco? Pulled the manual but couldn't find info with 93 on the 3.5 Eco.

*All vehicles tested with stock rims and tires

Last edited:

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah seriously. I have a cummins 6.7 for towing. Ecoboost motors with 35's get about 1-2 mpg better fuel economy. What are the other upsides? No thanks

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needed to haul the riding lawn mower to the place on the river, enclosed trailer 8x10x8, maybe 2K total weight, but pretty good wind resistance since it's enclosed.
Normally I wouldn't tow with the Raptor, but wanted to see how it would do.

...but the book says I can up to 8K and I have a 2" receiver and plug setup for either 4 or 7 pin and an integrated trailer brake, so not built for towing...:ROFLJest:

*Just posting my experience.
We also have a travel trailer that fully loaded is probably 9K w/WDH, the Eco handles that pretty well. Well enough I could pass my diesel counterparts that were doing slightly under/right at the speed limit, even on hills....

Last edited:

Kenneth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needed to haul the riding lawn mower to the place on the river, enclosed trailer 8x10x8, maybe 2K total weight, but pretty good wind resistance since it's enclosed.
Normally I wouldn't tow with the Raptor, but wanted to see how it would do.

...but the book says I can up to 8K and I have a 2" receiver and plug setup for either 4 or 7 pin and an integrated trailer brake, so not built for towing...:ROFLJest:

*Just posting my experience.
We also have a travel trailer that fully loaded is probably 9K w/WDH, the Eco handles that pretty well. Well enough I could pass my diesel counterparts that were doing slightly under/right at the speed limit, even on hills....

What he means is that the truck isn't geared for, nor is the engine designed for maximum torque/hp in the lower rev range, for towing. These trucks are made to have the maximum hp/torque in the high rev range to keep the tires rotating as fast as possible over sand, mud, and high speed terrain.

The towing is just a perk with these. Nothing more.