2014 Transmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houston-SE

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this forum while searching for anything regarding the failure of the transmission in my 2014 Raptor. I got it to a dealership but they won't even be able to look at my truck for 4-5 days due to all the flooded vehicles that are currently there so I wanted to try to find out anything I could beforehand.

While leaving work today it made a louder "clunk" than normal shifting out of park but it typically has had a clunk sound when shifting. When I got out of the parking lot it shifted very hard out of 1st and 2nd. It couldn't get out of 3rd when the wrench light came on. I pulled over in a parking lot to see if anything was visibly damaged and seen nothing. When I turned the truck back on, I shifted into reverse backing up a little with the wheel turned and shuddered like it was in 4wd. Put it back in D and the shifts were hard out of 1st and 2nd almost like you would experience with broken U-joints. Once it got into 3rd it never shifted up or down even when coming to a stop at red lights.

It is a 2014 with 26,000 Miles and just about a year old. The only times it has been in 4wd was just to get around our acreage in the country and hasn't pulled a trailer in a few weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas on the problem or suggestions on what I should be checking with the dealership to make sure everything is done right? I apologize if I broke any forum rules as I am new to these.

Pyro3601

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the transmission connector have oil in it by chance? I know my truck once upon a time has some atf bleed through into the connector and caused all sorts of shifting problems. I have seen it in other ford trans like the 4r70w and the 5r110w's at work. Allison 1000's as well. Something a guy could check out himself quick.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this forum while searching for anything regarding the failure of the transmission in my 2014 Raptor...

Welcome to the site, Houston-SE! I'm the Ford Service rep around these parts; I'd like to do what I can to help. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager so they can collaborate with your dealership on the repair.

Crystal

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this forum while searching for anything regarding the failure of the transmission in my 2014 Raptor. I got it to a dealership but they won't even be able to look at my truck for 4-5 days due to all the flooded vehicles that are currently there so I wanted to try to find out anything I could beforehand.

While leaving work today it made a louder "clunk" than normal shifting out of park but it typically has had a clunk sound when shifting. When I got out of the parking lot it shifted very hard out of 1st and 2nd. It couldn't get out of 3rd when the wrench light came on. I pulled over in a parking lot to see if anything was visibly damaged and seen nothing. When I turned the truck back on, I shifted into reverse backing up a little with the wheel turned and shuddered like it was in 4wd. Put it back in D and the shifts were hard out of 1st and 2nd almost like you would experience with broken U-joints. Once it got into 3rd it never shifted up or down even when coming to a stop at red lights.

It is a 2014 with 26,000 Miles and just about a year old. The only times it has been in 4wd was just to get around our acreage in the country and hasn't pulled a trailer in a few weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas on the problem or suggestions on what I should be checking with the dealership to make sure everything is done right? I apologize if I broke any forum rules as I am new to these.
When you backed up with the wheel cut after the restart, it could have been in 4 wheel drive. The vacuum system needs about 30 seconds (to be on the safe side) to disengage the IWEs.

One thing you can try is manually shifting to see if the hard shifts are there.

Do you have a tune on the truck? They sometimes cause hard shift points.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

OP
OP
H

Houston-SE

Reaction score
Does the transmission connector have oil in it by chance? I know my truck once upon a time has some atf bleed through into the connector and caused all sorts of shifting problems. I have seen it in other ford trans like the 4r70w and the 5r110w's at work. Allison 1000's as well. Something a guy could check out himself quick.

Thanks for the advice. It failed a mile away from a dealership so I just swung in there and dropped it off since I was 50+ miles from home and knew I wouldn't make it. I will keep this in mind if I ever have any future problems.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

When you backed up with the wheel cut after the restart, it could have been in 4 wheel drive. The vacuum system needs about 30 seconds (to be on the safe side) to disengage the IWEs.

One thing you can try is manually shifting to see if the hard shifts are there.

Do you have a tune on the truck? They sometimes cause hard shift points.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

I didn't know about the vacuum system so that might have been the issue with the shuddering.

I tried to put it in manual mode but it didn't work either. I shifted it up and down but didn't shift out of 3rd while stopped or driving.

No tune on the truck. It is completely stock.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate any advice.

OP
OP
H

Houston-SE

Reaction score
Houston SE - Any Update here? What did the Service Dept find?
Hoping for good news.

MJ

I am currently stuck out of town without the paperwork but they replaced a solenoid and mechatronic valve. Ford customer service was also a huge help.

When I make it back home I will post the exact quotes from the service department.

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear!
My issues were not as sever but reoccurring after they replaced the solenoid.
Mine is still in the shop and today they will be replacing the transmission wire harness.
They seem to think my issue is electrical and have been chasing it for a while
She was shifting from 1st to 4th at the worst times possible. Hard acceleration, up steep hill etc. Felt like it was just dying or sliding to neutral until I saw the indicator go from 1 to 4.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to hear!
My issues were not as sever but reoccurring after they replaced the solenoid.
Mine is still in the shop and today they will be replacing the transmission wire harness...

Thanks for the update, Dirt Bag. I checked out your case and see that your customer service manager has been working closely with your dealer to get you back on the road again. Let me know if I can do anything to help from my neck of the woods. :)

Crystal