2012 Scab with rusty rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Remove the running board on the other side and when you take it in have them grind off the paint to bare metal and see if it pokes through, they will warranty it then, if no perforations, then have them paint the rocker in that area, shouldn't be a lot of money. Make sure you yourself treat the inside of your rockers after you get it back and replace the duct tape on the inside from underneath.

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Remove the running board on the other side and when you take it in have them grind off the paint to bare metal and see if it pokes through, they will warranty it then, if no perforations, then have them paint the rocker in that area, shouldn't be a lot of money. Make sure you yourself treat the inside of your rockers after you get it back and replace the duct tape on the inside from underneath.

Treat the rockers with what?

Thanks!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Perfect. Thank you.

Make sure you have a couple of those spray tubes handy as the MPHD is fairly thick and they clog up quickly. I soak them in some thinner while I'm between tubes and it cleans out pretty good with an air chuck. Cover the holes back up with some of that Gorilla Tape. That stuff is the stickiest tape I've ever used and is available just about everywhere.

Good luck!!!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does it need to be reapplied every so often? Or just a one time application?

So far, I did my initial application last summer. Did another this fall before winter, and will do another this spring. I'm going to do mine twice a year, just after the winter and just before winter. Might be overkill, but I don't want to deal with these rusting issues and we are in the snow/salt belt.

You could probably get away a yearly application down there.

Just make sure you rinse them out good and let them dry before your initial application and you should be good to go. Like @CoronaRaptor stated, they are probably just full of mud and or sand now and need to be rinsed out. The whole job shouldn't take more than a few hours the first time, and then the future touch-ups will be easy.

Periodic checks throughout the year to make sure the tape hasn't fell off is a must for the whole thing to be effective.

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got this email from the dealer:

"At this time it doesn’t meet Ford’s rules for warranty on the drivers side. They will not accept a claim on the driver’s side. I pulled the records on your truck and the warranty on that runs through January 30 2017. I’m sorry I can’t warranty it at this time. Parts are ordered and should be here in a few days for the passengers side."

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, getting only the passenger side fixed under warranty. Guess I will take the truck back in 9 months so they can redo the driver side. Sucks since I will be out a vehicle for 3 weeks and paying a rental out of pocket...