2012 Raptor vs. 2013+ Raptor with HID's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HIDs could be retrofitted easily so that's not a big issue...You could also add some LEDs bars...

I would go for at least a 2013 in order to have the latest MyTouch...Maybe not the biggest point for you bit it will make a difference on resale IMO...

Have they got MyTouch figured out? It was a disaster for many in the beginning. Lots of Nav issues and reboots.

OP
OP
Trick.Raptor

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input! I wanted HID's from the start so I made my choice...

2013 SVT Raptor SCREW (White) with HID's. I should have it in my driveway this week. It is coming from Utah to CA.

More to come :)

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my 2012's retro'd from Dawson with LS460's and CBI 5000k bulbs. The peripheral light throw is amazing. I would never drive with anything less now. When the next Raptor comes out the first thing I'm going to do is go to Dawson for new headlights.

Agreed though to go for a 2013 or newer with a newer Ford Touch unit. My '12 has Microsuck Sync and I hate it. My least favorite thing on my truck.

FordIVTteam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my 2012's retro'd from Dawson with LS460's and CBI 5000k bulbs. The peripheral light throw is amazing. I would never drive with anything less now. When the next Raptor comes out the first thing I'm going to do is go to Dawson for new headlights.

Agreed though to go for a 2013 or newer with a newer Ford Touch unit. My '12 has Microsuck Sync and I hate it. My least favorite thing on my truck.

Hey, claustin -

I can look into any SYNC concerns you're experiencing. Shoot me the details in a PM.

Jaclyn

zero2espect

Reaction score
i'd still budget for a 40" light-bar and some fog/running lights for you outside-lower grill points.

the difference in visibility if you are out past sundown is literally the difference between day and night.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I definitely agree. The projectors in the 2013-2014 oem headlights have room for improvement. One night, I got a call from a buddy that they needed help helping a vehicle shipping company truck to get a lambo started. They were picking up a Raptor from my local dealership and the raptor was too wide and tall to put on the bottom but they needed to put it in the middle of the trailer... Long story short, I know the Raptor better than they do so I helped them move it and tie it down.

It was a fully loaded 2014 with projector headlights. All this happened at night so I got to see what the OEM hid's were about. I wasn't impressed. Sure they are very intense and have a sharp cut-off, but they lack peripheral vison. They are about a 30 degree light (or so it seemed.) I've driven vehicles with Projectors that cover every bit of the road in front of the vehicle. Even out to each side at a 180 degree angle.

What I think is worth it are Raptor Retrofit OEM headlights with any of the aftermarket projectors. Having 20% tint, I need peripheral lighting. These are just my needs. If the OEM projectors work for you then I say go for it! For now the projectors in my anzo headlights have me very happy and not wanting more but maybe eventually if I decided to upgrade, I'd go with raptor retrofit headlights with LS-460 projectors.

Hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Have they got MyTouch figured out? It was a disaster for many in the beginning. Lots of Nav issues and reboots.

I believe they have. I ride with a buddy on his numerous trips to Georgia to pick up carpet/tile/hardwood for his dad. He has an F-250 platinum with My Ford Touch and I think its a great system. It did do a reboot at one point without warning but it was simply doing an update. Great interface, great graphics and great integration with bluetooth.

EFD_5924

Banned
Reaction score
Too much $$ - better options available for pre-2013 trucks. The factory HIDs and projectors still don't cut it either.

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much $$ - better options available for pre-2013 trucks. The factory HIDs and projectors still don't cut it either.

Unless you have the skills to do the retrofitting yourself, buying retrofitted headlights from a vender is not less than $1100.
We all know that hid or led bulbs are not really recommended for reflector housings.
What other options are you referring to?

EFD_5924

Banned
Reaction score
Why would you say that? There are all sorts of aftermarket bulbs available for the factory housings that work very well. The factory ford projector cutoff is awful. There are vastly cheaper options available over retrofitting that folks talk about. That's just throwing money away.