2012 raptor - a big disappointment. Not for desert trail.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a pain but just remove and re-install the bump kit for registration inspections. Or are the cops really looking for any modifications when you're daily driving?

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Technically the bumpstop doesn't modify the suspension, just adds an element of safety. Just bolting it to the frame you might get away with.

OP
OP
A

Al Bastaki

Reaction score
they look for them... they hunt us.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Technically the bumpstop doesn't modify the suspension, just adds an element of safety. Just bolting it to the frame you might get away with.

a couple of guys who had hydraulic king bumpstops on their toyota fj's were told to get their's off. (they originally had the bumpstops installed to improve ride quality.. NOT out of necessity.

but anyways...

nope.

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you live in the wrong country then... Offroading doesn't sound feasible if you can't do a single mod.

OP
OP
A

Al Bastaki

Reaction score
Yeah, it's gotten really tough, I think i'll go back to the nissan patrol, its the most beatable and reliable offroad vehicle we've got here.

but i mean... the mods are essential on the raptor, if you don't have em, its like driving a shopping kart. which sucks! and sucks even more when uve paid 70k for it.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remember this,..... you dont buy a toyota or ford or chevy and head straight to nascar....... you take a good base and build up from there. adding parts as necessary to improve the vehicle. the raptor is a good starting base but you definately need mods for it. if ford designed the truck to be a complete off roader then it wouldnt be street legal. so that would mean towing it everywhere. if you cant mod your vehicle, find someone who can import you a prerunner instead.

OP
OP
A

Al Bastaki

Reaction score
a bunch of guys tried importing fj's with trd supercharger on them right from the dealership and the dealership helped them by having the car shipped as a TRD FJ Cruiser rather than just an fj cruiser so it gets registered as a trd fj... once it got here... the thing passed registration as you don't need to get the car checked for the first 3 years from brand new... he headed out .. a week later one of the young and knowledgeable popo's sniffed the fj's lovely supercharger whine and.. alas.. the guy got his 1k dollar ticket and the brand new car headed straight to impound for a month. if he drives it with the supercharger again... he gets jailed.

OP
OP
A

Al Bastaki

Reaction score
remember this,..... you dont buy a toyota or ford or chevy and head straight to nascar....... you take a good base and build up from there. adding parts as necessary to improve the vehicle. the raptor is a good starting base but you definately need mods for it. if ford designed the truck to be a complete off roader then it wouldnt be street legal. so that would mean towing it everywhere. if you cant mod your vehicle, find someone who can import you a prerunner instead.

You are absolutely right... i know this more than anyone. ive moded cars... swapped engines... to a point where not a single bolt was left in a car.. not even the speedometer.. nor the belt buckle.. or anything whatsoever left stock..

For the crazy runs we do... and the extreme terrains we take... the new policies are a pain in the a.

heres a little doc ive done.

The Desert on Vimeo

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I disagree with everyone!
You sound like someone that is looking for an excuse to badmouth this truck!
The mod that you need is a different vehicle; leave the Raptor for someone that appreciates it!

Sorry, somehow this did not post at the time I intended; must be the slow shipyard connection?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.