2011 Raptor SCrew--Trans Downshifted to 5th and Stuck There

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dunesdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone else run into the same issue? im hopefully gonna get my raptor shipped over here (United Arab Emirates) in a month or 2 and im afraid of facing the same issue and my raptor will have no warranty so im screwed :( if this happens to me.

Please keep us posted and i hope you get it fixed soon

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
anyone else run into the same issue? im hopefully gonna get my raptor shipped over here (United Arab Emirates) in a month or 2 and im afraid of facing the same issue and my raptor will have no warranty so im screwed :( if this happens to me.

Move. Shit breaks! LOL!

BDRAG

OP
OP
kglesq

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score

I dropped it at the dealer this evening, and should know more tomorrow. That said, I wouldn't worry about it--I'd be really surprised if this was a chronic issue.

dunesdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Move. Shit breaks! LOL!

BDRAG

Im not worried about it breaking ,im just worried that i have to pay fix something thats screwed up from the factory

Why would i move when this is just 40 minutes away from where i live :naughty:

20093995.jpg

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Im not worried about it breaking ,im just worried that i have to pay fix something thats screwed up from the factory

20093995.jpg

Nice. Talk about an abundance of fun..Wish I had that here.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
20093995.jpg

I wouldn't own a Raptor if I lived on Tatooine. I'd get an X-34 landspeeder instead, they're pretty reasonably priced. Haven't been in demand since the XP-38 came out.

Last edited:

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score

Man! If I only lived 40 miles from the MOON , I would get with NASA and see if they had any of those ECO FRIENDLY electric Moon Buggies around! HAhahaaaaa. Looks like lots of air time in your future!

BDRAG

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped it at the dealer this evening, and should know more tomorrow. That said, I wouldn't worry about it--I'd be really surprised if this was a chronic issue.

Same symptoms on my 2011 SCREW, build date ~15 Nov. Here is what was learned:
1a. I experienced the Tranny going into limp mode, which can be either 3rd or 5th gear operation (Not sure how it decides whether to give you 3rd or 5th). This is a self protective mode that allows you to limp to safety when the PCM believes there is a major powertrain issue.
1b. I had experienced a clunk or 2 when this first happened from the drivetrain.
1c. Recycling the key didn't by itself change things, but by letting it "cool down" the symptoms went away. I think it would fault when the Tranny hit 194 Degrees if I remember correctly.
2. This was a 2011 Raptor that escaped Dearborn with a bad PCM. It took 5 minutes for Ford to tell dealer this was a PCM problem and 15 days to get the part. This was in early Dec. So hopefully the PCMs are more readily available now.
3. Your Dealer, if unaware of the 2011 PCM failure symptoms, might concentrate on the 6R80 (tranny) as the culprit. If you find them wanting to drop the pan, you might encourage them to call Ford about the PCM issue 1st.
3. The BCM issue affected only a small portion of the F-150 line; not likely related to your symptoms. While its in the shop, I would have them physically verify (as opposed to by VIN) that your BCM is not one of the self igniting models.

Hope that info helps, good luck.

Last edited:

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great info, J. Bodolay!

Welcome to the boards, make yourself comfortable, around here we like guys like you who do their homework.

OP
OP
kglesq

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score
Thanks!

Same symptoms on my 2011 SCREW, build date ~15 Nov. Here is what was learned:
1a. I experienced the Tranny going into limp mode, which can be either 3rd or 5th gear operation (Not sure how it decides whether to give you 3rd or 5th). This is a self protective mode that allows you to limp to safety when the PCM believes there is a major powertrain issue.
1b. I had experienced a clunk or 2 when this first happened from the drivetrain.
1c. Recycling the key didn't by itself change things, but by letting it "cool down" the symptoms went away. I think it would fault when the Tranny hit 194 Degrees if I remember correctly.
2. This was a 2011 Raptor that escaped Dearborn with a bad PCM. It took 5 minutes for Ford to tell dealer this was a PCM problem and 15 days to get the part. This was in early Dec. So hopefully the PCMs are more readily available now.
3. Your Dealer, if unaware of the 2011 PCM failure symptoms, might concentrate on the 6R80 (tranny) as the culprit. If you find them wanting to drop the pan, you might encourage them to call Ford about the PCM issue 1st.
3. The BCM issue affected only a small portion of the F-150 line; not likely related to your symptoms. While its in the shop, I would have them physically verify (as opposed to by VIN) that your BCM is not one of the self igniting models.

Hope that info helps, good luck.

Thanks! Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I've been slammed with work of late.

My truck has been in the shop for a week as of today, and they have ordered the PCM, but it has not yet arrived. Ford says that the part is available and as of Tuesday the word was that it should be here "within a few days."

That's a bit disappointing, as I would expect that they would overnight things like that when a brand new vehicle is down--especially given that Ford no longer pays for a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop. (Note, however, they are paying for it in this case because I called their customer service line and complained. To Ford's credit, I was able to speak to an actual human who (1) appeared to care and (2) was able to help. Kudos to Theodore Robbins Ford as well, as I think they had a hand in getting that accomplished).

I'm hoping to have it back before the weekend as I'm pretty well sick and tired of driving a Kia Rio.