1500 miles and it's in the dealers service bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be at the dealership prompt @ 7am when then open. Fortunately I've known the owner for 15+ yrs, so I'm sure it'll get taken care of, but.....man it sucks not seeing it outside the house.

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a call from the Service Dept. They're dropping the tranny to see where the leak is coming from.

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer just called and confirmed it was a bad rear main seal. A new one is on the way from Memphis.

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's probably the first and hopefully last view of the backside of a 6.2 you'll ever get to see:

dsc01017640x480.jpg

And....just to make it complete, here's the tranny.
dsc01018640x480.jpg

The dealerships Master Tech is doing the work (or as the owner said, our Master, Master Tech).

Andy

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're dealer is johnny on the spot for sure.

Anyhow, hopefully this is just a fluke and nothing else.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow - you really got fast service - that's great!

The good news is they diagnosed the problem and it will be fixed quickly.

I hope it's a fluke and it's nothing like the Porsche engines all of which have suffered from major RMS (Rear Main Seal) problems - for years.

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're dealer is johnny on the spot for sure.

Anyhow, hopefully this is just a fluke and nothing else.

Once the new part is in, he was going to pull the old one and diagnose the failure mode.

Andy

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - you really got fast service - that's great!

The good news is they diagnosed the problem and it will be fixed quickly.

I hope it's a fluke and it's nothing like the Porsche engines all of which have suffered from major RMS (Rear Main Seal) problems - for years.

Yea, or the old I6 Jeep engines.

Andy

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

OMG, hopefully it's nothing like my Buick. The Grand National/ T-types rock but the rear seals leak like crazy which didn't go over so well with the wife....no wonder she agreed to the Raptor if I sold the Buick lol

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new one piece, full circle style seals ( I say new, but have been around since the late 80's) rarely leak. When they do, it is usually an installation problem where the seal lip is "rolled" during installation. I wouldn't be too concerned about reoccurance when your dealers Master tech installs it correctly.(And I know he will)

FSM

Hey, that torque converter looks really familiar!