ICON Bumpstop and Exhaust/Frame

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Got some questions for those that have the ICON Bumpstop. I currently have the RPG one. I am going to the ICON RXT system and will be removing the RPG. I called ICON and had some questions that they answered but when I asked about the exhaust, I was told that it only works with turn down exhausts that doesn't go over the axle. I asked about stock exhaust and was told that it does not work.

So the detective that I am, I go look at the online instructions and it clearly shows using a stock exhaust and about adjusting the hanger. So apparently the guy I spoke to wasn't fully knowledgeable.

So here are two questions because I trust the forum folks response due to real world experiences:

1. On the instructions is states this, "NOTE: Use of aftermarket exhaust may require custom fabrication to allow clearance of tension rods". I have the Ford Racing Touring Exhaust. Does ANYONE know if the bumpstop works with this exhaust without any fabrication? I can't confirm it but thought it follows the factory path so hoping bending the hangers will do it but would like to know before getting the kit in my hands.

2. The instructions also state that sanding of the welds on the frame may be required and then painted to prevent rust (of course). How many of you had to actually sand your frame to get this bumpstop to get the ideal fitment?

Just for grins, I plan on getting the RXT system but without the shock for now, due to funding (actually funding is no issue with a CC, but they need payment in full or I gotta to pay more, LOL). So doing the bumpstop and leaf springs (removing WSI HD) with some replacement shackles. Will be using my existing 3.0's in the rear for now.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would phone sdhq or Add and ask them, they install this shit all the time and should know right off the bat.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

So are you selling the RPG bump kit? Pm me if you are, I may interested.

Yes. I will be selling that along with the WSI springs and the ICON rears. Been thinking of giving folks a pre-garage sale discount price if they can "pay and wait" till I get things off and new installed. Help fund it so I can justify the upgrade ahead of time. Was thinking of doing this before Raptoberfest but if they all sell first, will do it sooner.

mike.s

Reaction score
I can't answer your questions exactly, but I can tell you that I had fitment issues with my Icon bump stop and Corsa catback. My installer had to dump the exhaust before the rear axel. Stock exhaust should be fine.

My guys did not have sand any welds or paint.

Last edited:

Monster44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I will be selling that along with the WSI springs and the ICON rears. Been thinking of giving folks a pre-garage sale discount price if they can "pay and wait" till I get things off and new installed. Help fund it so I can justify the upgrade ahead of time. Was thinking of doing this before Raptoberfest but if they all sell first, will do it sooner.

Pm me a price for the package and individual parts. You know me, I know where you live so if I have to wait a bit it's no biggie. Really depends on price for me.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my exhaust is dumped currently but will soon be a custom high mount and exit the rear. i know @WarSurfer had his icon bumpstop installed at KHC and a custom exhaust was needed if dumping it wasn't an option. from what i've seen, the stock exhaust will work, just needs to be maneuvered a bit...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

UPDATE: Just had the ICON RXT system installed using the ICON bump stop. Haven't picked the truck up yet but was called that it will not work with the Ford Racing exhaust. Apparently the two pipes coming out of the muffler are farther apart than stock and will not fit between the top brace and the adjustable cross members bars.

So I am left with:
1. Removing the cross members and be like all the other bump stops out there.
2. Cutting the catback exhaust and do the turn down before the axle.

Kinda sucks because I really don't want to do either since the exhaust cost me over $1k. I am going to start a new thread or search to see if anyone has removed those cross members and went off-road or not.

I am proceeding with this concept for now:
Remove the cross members and run the full Ford Racing Exhaust the majority of the time when just doing daily driving.
When I want to off-road, remove the tailpipe section and put the turn down on. I am already doing that with a tailpipe piece that is cut over the axle anyways. And then install back the cross members.
Should be a less than a 30 minute job to switch things around.

Thoughts?
And hope that helps anyone out that decides to use this bump stop with this exhaust.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
High mount setup man...have them fab something up high above the frame, that's what I did...I'll get picks one sec...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

7bb53ebae01d15972e5e2fb3896827a0.jpg50b6005860f22e9344d64c29591b1431.jpg421ec793eb44df507340dd2af5dfae8d.jpg3bdc110e80fdb35eec312eabfca412b4.jpg51f715b97deea145b79b2fccea81fbf5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk