Differential breather hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dewback75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, hoping for some guidance and hoping you all can help.

I am getting a puddle under my rear axle. Smells like diff fluid. Looking under the truck, it seems to be coming from a hose the connects fro the axle a crossmember on the bed. Searching the forum, I found a thread calling it a "differntial breather hose". It looks like it is attached properly, but the area around it (by the bed) is wet and is spilling down the line. Pretty sure this is the problem (I'm sharp like that).

The puddle it left is not very big, and it doesn't seem to always "leak".

I had the issue once before and took it to the dealer. They said the breather line was clogged and cleared it, no charge. But now that it has come back I wonder if this is "normal." Like an overflow on the radiator...

I've never driven though anything deeper than 8 inches of water / mud. I doubt anything could have splashed in. I don't baby it, but I don't abuse it either.

Looking for ideas on what to check or tell the dealership before finally taking it back in. Thoughts?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So your trying to say that your dif fluid is coming out the vent tube where it attaches at the crossmember under the bed? That's a long shot! Only way that is happening is if somebody overfilled the dif big time. It's a vent tube and the reason. It's up that high is so water doesn't get in, but you know that because you are sharp, lol. You sure it's not leaking from the inspection plate? They have a habit of leaking there, just saying.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, hoping for some guidance and hoping you all can help.

I am getting a puddle under my rear axle. Smells like diff fluid. Looking under the truck, it seems to be coming from a hose the connects fro the axle a crossmember on the bed. Searching the forum, I found a thread calling it a "differntial breather hose". It looks like it is attached properly, but the area around it (by the bed) is wet and is spilling down the line. Pretty sure this is the problem (I'm sharp like that).

The puddle it left is not very big, and it doesn't seem to always "leak".

I had the issue once before and took it to the dealer. They said the breather line was clogged and cleared it, no charge. But now that it has come back I wonder if this is "normal." Like an overflow on the radiator...

I've never driven though anything deeper than 8 inches of water / mud. I doubt anything could have splashed in. I don't baby it, but I don't abuse it either.

Looking for ideas on what to check or tell the dealership before finally taking it back in. Thoughts?

I have had the same problem with mine for the past 4-5 months. The whole left side of my crossmember is wet and diff fluid runs down my vent tube and down to the base plate. It has left a small puddle a few times in my driveway. I have heard that this can happen from water getting in the diff fluid. About a month ago, I completely drained and replaced my diff fluid to the exact specifications. (So I know it's not over filled and there is no water in it). I still have the problem and the local dealership told me this is a common issue and there is a TSB on it which calls for the housing plate and tube to be replaced. It's on my list of things to do.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The differential vent hose is identified correctly here. Note how short it is. If you do any water crossings, it's a very good idea to lengthen it. Mine is rerouted all the way forward to the driver side firewall under the hood and has a filter on it. Cheap insurance.

The TSB is news to me, though. @BigGriff023, can you get a copy of it from your dealer and post it here, please?

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The differential vent hose is identified correctly here. Note how short it is. If you do any water crossings, it's a very good idea to lengthen it. Mine is rerouted all the way forward to the driver side firewall under the hood and has a filter on it. Cheap insurance.

The TSB is news to me, though. @BigGriff023, can you get a copy of it from your dealer and post it here, please?

I should be going in next week and I will get a copy of it. The service manager knew what I was talking about right away and soon as he looked under the truck, he said "ya we've been having to replace a lot lately". (I also don't ever do water crossings and live in SoCal where it rarely rains). I thought that completely replacing my fluid would work. I even put new hose clamps on each end of the hose to prevent any leaks.

OP
OP
Dewback75

Dewback75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Knew something wasn't right. @BigGriff023 what you described is exactly what I am seeing. If you get the TSB info, please let us know. I'll go down to my dealership with the info and see what they do.
@Ruger, saw you note about relocating and a filter on the other thread. Not expecting to need to do any wheeling that would require a move like that. But if the TSB don't pan out this may be the next step. At least adding a filter...

I'll post some pics of current state soon for reference.

OP
OP
Dewback75

Dewback75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First pic shows where the hose connects to the bed.

Second pic shows the hose from the bed to the axle.

Third shows the hose at the axle (sort of). Notice where the axle is wet. It's not leaking at the cover.

All pics taken on the driver's side from behind the axle (I was under the spare shooting toward the cab).

Attachments

• IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6133.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6134.jpg
    IMG_6134.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_6136.jpg
    IMG_6136.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 130

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing out load here!
That water got in your diff and now the diff fluid is foaming and expanding and pushing out oil filmed bubbles.

Last edited: