Talk to me about lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 is supposed to be built 5/9. I want to add lighting. I was planning to either put a 20" LED in the bumper or a 40" on top. I see a lot of LEDs behing the grill and I assume that cuts the light output a good bit, 10-20% I'd think. Any real data on the impact of that placement?

I also see a lot more mounted up by the windshield.

Can you good folks educate me a bit on lighting placement and the pros and cons?

Thanks....joe

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This has been posted and discussed many many times and personally I've gone into GREAT detail about what I think and thought about the entire RIGID setup as I have had the 40", the 20" and the Dually's - all at the same time and then piece by piece on different trucks.

All in all, the 20" mounted in the lower grill throws the most usable light, but there's no denying that the 40" behind the grill is king, even with the grill blocking some of it.

DesaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are lots of Lights Options.

I like the M&R setup myself, but have plenty of Rigids as well.

Attachments

• m&r fogs.jpg
    m&r fogs.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 116

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bar is the ok but you waste a lot of lumens and the throw is marginal. Go with the HID upgrade from Raptor Retrofit using the 50 watt ballast and Osram bulbs the the Vision X Light Cannons in the bumper cut outs.

After the 50 watt HID FXR "kit" you will not need any short throw light lol.... LED light bars currently do not have much throw but the Light Cannons are a game changer in the LED world. They just came out and I have a set on my Jeep with one to be put on the Raptor as soon as the adapter brackets are made and the lights actually come in.

Forgot to add that you want to keep the lights below the hood---light reflects off or the hood as well as throws diffused light closer to your eye that dust will also reflect --- all from detracting from you night vision. Learned this lesson about 35 years ago.

Last edited:

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whelen, all the way

The stock bumper bracket that WSI sells, that hold 4 of these lamps, is over 15000 lumens. The light comparison photo is 4 of these lamps (2 hood, 2 bumper), the lamps come with 4 lenses too, 1 spot 3 floods. We also sell hood mount brackets too ($70).

Whelen products are Manufactured In The USA! Which means the company is required to prove that 85% of their products are manufactured in the USA.

Attachments

• IMAG0672.jpg
    IMAG0672.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5840.jpg
    IMG_5840.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
AZEngineer

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The second photo for the lighting comparison did not show up. What difference would 4 or those in the bumber versus 2 in the bumper and 2 on the hood be? I am not crazy about putting lights up in my sightline unless thats a superior place to have light sources.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second photo for the lighting comparison did not show up. What difference would 4 or those in the bumber versus 2 in the bumper and 2 on the hood be? I am not crazy about putting lights up in my sightline unless thats a superior place to have light sources.

I feel it is a superior place, especially for lights as bright and great quality as these.

I am sorry the picture didn't work for you, if you send me an email to [email protected], I'll shoot you some light distance pics asap. We also have new lighting products upcoming, so be sure to look out for those.