OEM 13 HID issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed 13 OEM HIDs in my 12 Screw in November. I used Ducati's wiring harness and I've had zero issues with them until the last few days. The last cpl of nights when I went out the headlights won't come on for me. I was messing around with them yesterday morning and there are no blown fuses that I could find. Funny thing, if I switch on the high beams they come on and then switch it back to low beam the low beam comes on and stays on. Has anyone had this problem and can anyone point me in the right direction. It's pretty frustrating to say the least....:think:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be that the relays in the controller box included in the wiring harness kit are going bad or you've got a water intrusion issue with the box. A newer box with a better enclosure and waterproof connectors came out not too long ago if I remember right. Work with Dawson to see if you have the newer version. If you have the older version, he can probably swap your unit under warranty. Other than that, make sure your controller unit is mounted with the connector hanging down so water can't try to drain downward into the unit and double-check that your grounds are secure.

Also, if your headlights are upgraded and you're using an externally mounted higher wattage ballast then that could also be the culprit. The OEM ballast mounted to the back of the headlight enclosure seems to be more reliable.

In general, make sure all of your connections are secure. Personally, I applied dielectric grease to all connectors for additional protection from water and corrosion as well.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I'll check all of those things first thing tomorrow morning. I know that mounted the controller correctly but that's about it. I did upgrade the HID bulbs themselves but they are the same bulb as the factory bulb. They were $119 and they are way better than the stock units and they also don't bounce like the stock units do. I installed those bulbs roughly a week after installing the new HIDs and they have worked flawlessly since late in November. Thanks again, Mike

Last edited:

Rotpar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue, mine was caused by the relay harness not having waterproofed connections. Scraped the corrosion off the pins and put some RTV in the back of the connector where the wires go in, hasn't acted up in quite a while.

Mine wasn't a Ducati harness but bought from TRS, which is where he got his parts from at one time.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took apart the relay harnesses plug and it certainly doesn't appear to have any corrosion on it that I can see.
20140410_103445_zpsc5223798.jpg20140410_103046_zpsa1268338.jpg20140410_103036_zps7dc4fcad.jpg

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received the updated relay harness on Monday Dawson. Do you want the old one back? Thank you very much, Mike