Blue Light Tinting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who has put blue gels on lights for the snow.
I was looking at Luminex but the blue they have does not seem that deep.
Last year I ran my KC HID's with Blue Covers that were a deep blue and also Amber covers and the Blue made a HUGE difference over the amber when it was snowing and running at high speed. The hood mounted lights have much more glare with the amber so wanting a deep blue gel to cover my XL-80's which have more than enough lumens so I am ok with a gel that will drop 30% light output.

OP
OP
S

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered Lamin-X blue tint to try out. Should be here today. Will see how it does, might have to order some Blue Gel sheets for Stage lighting if its to light.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have used gels for stage lighting before. They are made to handle the heat so they hold up well. Currently I'm running blue tint film I purchased through Amazon. It was sold as headlight tint. The seller referred to it as medium blue I believe. Found it the easiest to work with since it is self-adhesive. Has held up very well too. Tinting the Whelen lights is easy since I take the cover off and apply the tint to the backside and screw the lenses back in place. Film can't lift or peal or get scratched because it is on the inside of the lenses.

OP
OP
S

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The XL80's seem to give off alot of heat for LED's as the 4 LED's are each 20w each driven at 100%. So not so sure how well it will do if ran on the inside. Plus putting it on the outside will help protect the plastic lens the BD uses.

I had hoped they would have released a Clear rock guard for the XL Pro/80's so I could just tint the inside of those with gels but no dice. Wish I still had my Gels book to test out which gel will give me the output and color I want as most of the blues I have used have a very low transmission %.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought a gel film package a couple years ago to test out. You might be able to snag some off Amazon. When I was looking there was a company selling multi-color packs in what they labeled "tone samples". I was able to pick it up pretty reasonably and it had 6 different shades of blue/purple.

OP
OP
S

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried the Lamin-x and it was way to light even doubled up it did not do much to give it any blue just decreased output and softened the light. I ordered some sky blue tint to try and some gels to give the blue gel a try. Should be here later this week

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I missed this when you started the thread. I tried the Lamin-x blue on my Vision X 4.5 HID and I also found it not blue enough. There amber is good on my light bar and they do make a very good product but the blue tint is not blue enough.

Let us know how your next combo works