Torque wrench recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilPatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to do most of my own maintenance on this truck, so I think a torque wrench is a wise tool to pick up. I was wondering if y'all could give me some suggestions on what I should look like for in one for this truck...things like drive size, max torque, digital/click type/or whatever, should I get a standard US wrench or something that is in newton meters. Anything else I'm missing and should look into please let me know.

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 4 torque wrenches to cover the range of fasteners on the vehicle these include a 1/2" drive that goes from 35 to 250 ftlbs, a 3/8" drive that covers from 8 to 75 ftlbs, and a 3/8" that covers inlbs. If your planning to do some of the heavier stuff like I do, then a 3/4" drive that goes from 100 to 600 ftlbs.

Get the wrenches that click when you reach the desired torque. Most torque wrenches will have both METRIC and SAE numbers on them.

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the torque wrenches that click when you reach the desired torque. With that said, you will come across bolts that you will be able to torque and some that the torque wrench will not fit because of being to tight of an area for the wrench to fit in. Then you will just have to tighten the bolt without the torque wrench using what ever wrench you can find to fit in the tight area. At least that is my experience! I use the torque wrenches when ever possible.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And if I were you, I wouldn't take the lower shock bolt off on the front LCA's (it's a blue bolt) if I were you. It's torque rating is 400+ ft-lbs...

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Matco.
I would recommend a 50-250 click type.
Be sure to 'store it at zero'. Don't wind it below zero.