rear differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HarleyGirl

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Thanks. I installed a half spider rear differential cover & it's now leaking. Discovered at the dealership during a tire rotation. They are charging me for a rear flush with an extra quart charge of an additional $22. Feel like I'm getting nickel & dimed to death

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The half spider is just a shield that offers a bit if protection and mounts over the factory diff cover using the same bolts. Only a replacement diff cover like the Mag-hytec or similar will increase fluid capacity.

If you didn't have leaks before the half spider install, I'm guessing you may not have used a good sealer applied to the bolt threads when threading the bolts for the spider/diff cover since the only place to leak would be around the bolt holes if the cover was never removed.

This is also a reason why I prefer an aftermarket cover that uses an attached o-ring rather than having to lay down a bead of sealant like Right Stuff or RTV. Although, you still have to apply sealant to the bolts regardless of what type of diff cover seal is present.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. I installed a half spider rear differential cover & it's now leaking. Discovered at the dealership during a tire rotation. They are charging me for a rear flush with an extra quart charge of an additional $22. Feel like I'm getting nickel & dimed to death

A flush will not cure the leaks. You need to add the dealer to the bolts add mentioned above.
Yes you are getting nicked and dimed. No reason for a flush and extra quart. What is there reason??

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, no car dealers nickel and dime anyone to death. They only deal in the hundreds and thousands of dollars.

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A flush will not cure the leaks. You need to add the dealer to the bolts add mentioned above.
Yes you are getting nicked and dimed. No reason for a flush and extra quart. What is there reason??

Yukon Joe
GREAT LAKES RAPTOR EXCURSIONS

im not sure about the extra quart but the reason for the flush, is that the diff cover comes off to re seal the cover.

when the diff cover comes off the fluid comes out. No tech in the world will offer to replace the old fluid back in.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There gonna have to remove the cover, and clean the surface, to reseal and stop the leak,as stated by LONGISLANDRAPTOR, What I don't understand is the cover is sealed on there so dame well, how the hell did it start leaking, just from removing a couple bolts, I had to pry like hell just to get mine off for my cover change, wonder is it the stock cover she added the spider to, or was the cover changed and the spider added down the road, then that would be the case of not sealed good.

Last edited: