fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G.Oliva

Reaction score
My raptor is approaching 100k and I was wondering if I should change the fluids in the tranny and gear boxes. Ive been told that I should not because the transmission could give way because of the mileage. What do yall experts think? Im also thinking about changing out the spark plus as well.

Do you think its a good idea to change the fluid and spark plugs or just leave as is? If I do change, I would want to run RP or AMSOIL.

Thank you guys!

Oh, and I did use the search function as much as I could. this is my first post as well so please don't burn me to badly.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Let's see some pics of your beast! First, for the transmission, I honestly believe in allowing a Ford dealership perform a flush on that because they have a "hot flush" machine that gets the replacement fluid up to temperature before flushing the old fluid out. This is the correct way to flush the tranny without causing harm. It is VERY tedious and risky to attempt a flush on your own unless you are extremely secure in your mechanical abilities. While I personally use Amsoil Signature Series transmission fluid that meets the Mercon LV designation for Ford recommendations. But there are obviously those out there that believe that you should stick with original Mercon LV from Ford for the transmission.

As for the gear lube for the front and rear differentials. First, you need 2 quarts for the front and 3 quarts for the rear unless you plan to upgrade the differential cover in the rear in which case you will need 5 quarts of fluid for the rear differential. The fluid I swear by for the differentials would be Amsoil Severe gear 75-140 for the rear and 75-90 for the front. I do offer a package deal on my website that includes a differential cover and the fluids needed to upgrade both. Check it out HERE. That being said, I have tested these gear lubes in everything from my personal Raptor to my diesel pickups that I hauled extremely heavy loads of farm goods with in the past and I have never had a differential failure or other type of problem.

Also, if you want to save up to 25% off retail pricing on the Amsoil fluids, click the link HERE to learn more about the Amsoil Preferred Customer program membership. For $20 a year you can save literally hundreds on your annual lubricant costs overall.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How hard do you run your raptor? Are you planning on keeping it for another 100K? Has your truck seen any water crossings or large puddles?

If you've been light on your truck, the tranny fluid should be ok. According to your service manual the fluid is for the life time of the vehicle. If you have the performance tube install and hitting it off the line all the time, if go with the flush at the dealer. They will use your own fluid if you ask them to.

As for the rear and front differentials, I would change them out. You may want to consider the front transfer case as well.

I've gone with amsoil that I've purchased through Chris and have no complaints.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally I think you are 50K overdue. All lubricants age, and as they age they lose viscosity and become more acidic. Second, there are no filters in the differentials nor transfer case.

Chris is right about your mechanical abilities. Neither differential has a drain plug, and the transmission doesn't have one either. You have to remove the covers (extremely difficult on the front differential, not easy on the rear differential), and a huge mess on the transmission. Or you can do a partial change on the differentials by pumping the old fluid out as best you can. I don't think it's even possible to change the fluids in both differentials, the transfer case, and the transmission in a single day if you're working on your garage floor. So if you're not an accomplished do-it-yourselfer, Chris's advice to take it to the dealer is really wise guidance. Be confident in your dealer's service department, though. There are horror stories galore.

One other thing pertaining to the transmission work: Refilling the transmission to the proper level is quite tricky. There is a definite procedure, and even if you follow it carefully there's a fair chance of an overflow. It's a little disquieting to see your brand new, very expensive transmission fluid in a growing puddle on your garage floor. The final transmission fluid level check is done with the engine and transmission at full operating temperature and with the engine running. The transmission dipstick is so close to the right side exhaust that there is essentially no way to do the final hot check without burning yourself. Badly. I imagine that there are thousands of Ford mechanics in the field who have scarred knuckles from this.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hiya Wilson! I hope all's well on your end.

The full write-up of the installation of my Afe transmission pan is here:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f7/transmission-smoother-after-fluid-exchange-34474/index5.html
and starts on page 5. My end-of-project synopsis is at the top of page 7 and has a photo of the third degree burn on my knuckle. 15 months later the scar is still visible.

I was talking about the op if she don't want to get razzed pics of her and truck. Better to ask questions than wish you would have...

BANE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you shoud do a 6R80 Trans Fluid and filter change (drain and fill ) not a flush!! use motorcraft mercon lv

as for the diffs only use amsoil font and rear also change the plugs to NGK

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you shoud do a 6R80 Trans Fluid and filter change (drain and fill ) not a flush!! use motorcraft mercon lv

as for the diffs only use amsoil font and rear also change the plugs to NGK

Bane, I am very curious why you recommend against a flush. Would you kindly elaborate, please?

OP
OP
G.Oliva

G.Oliva

Reaction score
I ended up having a transmission shop drain and flush the tranny and the gear boxes and replaced the fluid with amsoil. I don't really know if it's all in my mind but I feel as if the truck shifts much smoother. Thanks a lot for all your input and yes, I plan on keeping my truck. Now I have to do a spark plug change but I hear that that's a pain in the ass to do.