Fuel Storage Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Reportedly the best gas cans are Sceptre cans which are made for the military and are no longer legal in California.

Here's an interesting option for fuel storage for those offroad expeditions that may not take you near a gas station.

Moeller Boating Topside Fuel Tank (12-Gallon, Low Profile)

resize?sq=370&uid=1559896166.gif
Moeller Portable Fuel Tanks are priced low so you keep more cash in your pocket! Blow Molded Portable Fuel Tanks come complete with built in mechanical fluorescent gauge, withdrawal tube and elbow, and special vented cap. All tanks have built in reserve area and all meet or exceed BIA / ABYC standards. Choose Model. AVAILABLE SEPARATELY: 3, 6 and 9 Portable Fuel Tanks - word search in our Store for 'Moeller Fuel Tanks'. 12 Gal. (low profile) Capacity; Dimensions - 18" W x 24" L x 11 1/2" H

Available at Amazon for $63.03

Review of the product by a user: This tank is pretty heavy duty, constructed of plastic at least as thick as the scepter tanks. Being a topside marine tank, it's designed to resist exposure to the elements, salt water, etc. and is guaranteed not to leak.

The tank has a fuel gauge built in and a port to tie in a fuel line (which I have removed because I won't be using that).

I have some fuel grade clear plastic tubing with a simple siphon and run it directly to the tank. Just start the siphon action and it flows about 2.5 gallons per minute, or 12 gallons in just under 5 minutes.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MT94WY/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SCEPTER 20L PETROL
MILITARY FUEL CAN

The Scepter Military Fuel Cans are simply the safest heavy-duty fuel can on the market today. These light weight MIL-spec fuel cans are designed to safely and securely transport auxiliary fuel. These cans meet DOT regulations as well as exceeding the United Nations Transportation of Dangerous Goods Model Regulations, the only fuel can on the market to meet these strict guidelines.

Scepter Military Fuel Cans are made out of injection molded polyethylene. This plastic derivitive ensures that the can will never rust or dent.

Scepter Petrol fuel cans are available in four different colors, safety red, Blaze Orange, OD green and American Sand. Civilian use cans come with a high visibility red check strap for the lid, (red is the DOT color designation for petrol or gasoline) with the letter "P" embossed on it. This check strip provides easy fuel-type identification as well as DOT safety compliance.

Each can is clearly marked "fuel" on the side, so as not to be confused with the aesthetically similar water cans.

scepterpetrolcansall.jpg

SCEPTER MILITARY FUEL CAN MFC 3-20L 5 GALLON / 20 LITER CAN - FIELD DRAB **RA**
Mil-Spec Field Drab Green heavy-duty US 5 gallon fuel can as supplied to military. DOT approved plastic storage tank is lighter than metal cans, won’t rust or crush, meets all safety requirements and is extremely rugged. The easy-open twist cap, internal air vent, low-noise handling, and rapid pouring rate with Scepter's high-flow spouts, deliver superior performance.

AG_MFC04_L_1.jpg

I found a place (in RI) that sells them BUT their site says, "Does not comply with CARB regulations. For Military Purchase and Use only."

Now I need to call them and see if I can get them shipped to CA for military purposes. :)

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level4c.tam?uu=4843872

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I suspect we won't be able to get the Sceptre gas cans here in California due to CARB regulations (even though the military in CARBifornia has no problem getting or using them).

But we should be able to get Sceptre's water cans here. And except for the color of the cans, I believe they're the same cans.

SCEPTER GI MWC 5 GALLON / 20 LITER WATER CAN – BLACK
Scepter's military water can is designed to preserve the quality of drinking water. The genuine military issue plastic water transport can is excellent for home, camp, cabin and preparedness survival storage. Features a screw top closure with a wide mouth for easy filling. Pour through a small capped opening with a venting cap. Stores and stacks compactly. Uniform, single handle prevents mistaking for fuel canister in the dark.

The price? $32.99 each; same as their gas cans :)

AG_GWC03_L_1.jpg

Link: http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/ta...=Water/Fuel Storage&backto=/store/level3c.tam

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that information Dan. I was wondering about the military fuel and water cans. Now I know, thanks.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan,

I looked at the Moeller tanks a couple of weeks ago at Bass Pro Shops. Nice. But you would need some kind of pump arrangement to transfer the fuel.

As far as the Sceptre cans... they are great and I think they are still legal to ship to NV? I know someone here who bought from Brigademaster even with the disclaimer posted. They told him they could not ship to California.

I don't think the water cans are the same because theyl used to sell them for $25 while the fuel cans were $45. But that was a couple of years ago. I probably should have bought some.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark, if you can buy them and get them shipped to Nevada please let me know (buy 2 for me). I'd really like to have a couple of the Sceptre cans!

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Scepter MIL gas cans are still made in Canada but the manufacturer has banned the export to the USA except to the Military. They are apparently worried that since they are not CARB-spec, they might somehow end up for sale in a CARB-spec state and they'll be sued or fined.

Any Canadian friends? As far as I know, you can still buy them in Canada.

There are other cans out there similar to the ones VP Racing fuel sells. I like that they are square and more stable than the tall, narrow Jerry cans. I think some of the stores around here sell them. I'll take a look.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We do need a Canadian friend and I'll bet there are some on the other forum.

Perhaps one of you still working both sides of the street :D can ask a few of them and see if they'll buy them for us and ship them to us.