Torsen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if you lock the rear end, are in 4x4 , with the torsion front end does the torsion unit provide real 4 wheel drive? I mean if one front wheel were on dry ground and the other front wheel was in the air would the power be split between the 2 or is it truly locked so the power goes to the wheel on the dry ground ? Or does it act more like a limited slip?

Thanks guys

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The torsen will drive the power to the wheel on the ground that has the grip.

When suck in a deep hole at TRR the first year, I could actually feel the front of the truck "walk" out of that hole.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
If you want to provide torque (or tractive effort) to the wheel on the ground when the other one is in the air you need either a spool or a locking diff. Some limited slip diffs will have a locking option however not all.

The Torsen is a type of limited slip diff. Limited slip diffs will provide more torque (tractive effort) to the wheel with traction based on the bias ratio. The bias ratio is a ratio of torque multiplication. If you have a 2:1 bias ratio the tire with grip can apply up to 2x more torque (or TE) than can be applied to the wheel with limited grip. If one wheel has no grip (ie. it is in the air) 2x0=0 torque is applied to the other wheel with grip. Hence why you need a locker when you have a tire in the air.

Its a bit more complicated however; that is the cliff notes version. Hope it helps.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Torsen = Torque Sensing limited slip differential.

If a wheel in the air or a wheel that's not going to aid in getting you unstuck is spinning too much, you can tap the brakes and it will usually bias the power to the other wheel. I had a truck with a rear Torsen diff and this helped me many times.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want to provide torque (or tractive effort) to the wheel on the ground when the other one is in the air you need either a spool or a locking diff. Some limited slip diffs will have a locking option however not all.

The Torsen is a type of limited slip diff. Limited slip diffs will provide more torque (tractive effort) to the wheel with traction based on the bias ratio. The bias ratio is a ratio of torque multiplication. If you have a 2:1 bias ratio the tire with grip can apply up to 2x more torque (or TE) than can be applied to the wheel with limited grip. If one wheel has no grip (ie. it is in the air) 2x0=0 torque is applied to the other wheel with grip. Hence why you need a locker when you have a tire in the air.

Its a bit more complicated however; that is the cliff notes version. Hope it helps.

And this is why the IWE can easily fail... to much of a good thing, lol...

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Torsen = Torque Sensing limited slip differential. If a wheel in the air or a wheel that's not going to aid in getting you unstuck is spinning too much, you can tap the brakes and it will usually bias the power to the other wheel. I had a truck with a rear Torsen diff and this helped me many times.

Happened to me and I did the exact same thing

I know it's a different beast(front to rear, ford to Chevy) but I had the Gov locker in my 2500HD. Also called the G-Bomb because it'll blow if you try to engage it over 15mph. But when used properly, limited slips can be very helpful. Full locking is great when the wheels are on the ground. Limited slip is better when there's varied terrain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the torsen will limit the amount of slip to the front wheel that has low grip. if you have one wheel jamed against a rock and one is hanging in the air guess what, that one in the air is going to spin and the other will be stationary.....

but with 4x4 the front wheel will only spin IF AND WHEN BOTH rear wheels lose traction as well.

with the rear diff locked, 4x4 engaged, and one front wheel hanging in the air , and all 3 others on the ground. AT LEAST 3 wheels need to move at the same speed. One front wheel can be held solid (I.E jammed against a rock) but the others MUST move together, due to the fac the transfer case is a locked unit.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's not a locker. Bright side. Rear locker is more important than front locker in almost all situations. And the suspension travel the raptor has will keep the front tires on the ground a lot more.