GEN 1 Should have bought an extended warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man I sure do wish I would have bought an extended warranty. My 13 with 33k miles AC isn't producing like it should. I am dreading taking it in to get looked at. I know it's going to cost me dearly. Anything I should check 1st before I drop it off?

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My ac isnt blowing as cold as it used to, went to the dealer they told me it would be $160 just to look at it lol, i might just try to re-charge the system first

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was weak on 1000 mile camping trip... blowing cold, but not cold enough. Added a can of 134 and now blowing ice cubes. Needs a can every summer. A/C is used year round here. Hose and gauge $20. Can of R134 $10. Done.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I sure do wish I would have bought an extended warranty. My 13 with 33k miles AC isn't producing like it should. I am dreading taking it in to get looked at. I know it's going to cost me dearly. Anything I should check 1st before I drop it off?

Whether you take it in or do it yourself, you should at least look at the lines for any evidence of leakage (oily residue from the PAG oil that circulates with the refrigerant), and see if the compressor clutch is kicking in with the A/C on. There's a good thread on here about compressor cycling that may or may not apply.

I've used those $20 gauge and can R134a deals a couple times with pretty good success on different vehicles. Not so good on my wife's little 4-cylinder Sentra, it's so tiny a slight overcharge was too much and I had to go buy a set of gauges just to bleed off like 0.14 oz. That said I'll be putting a can of R134a in my '13 SCREW this weekend, it was 109 here yesterday and I know another 12 ounces won't hurt.

Glenbartley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finding a leak isnt super hard most times. Look for oily spots of course. But if you have a friend with a leak detector or buy one thats best. They arent super expensive. Theres also the bubble test. Mix dishwashing liquid and water. Almost All leaks are around fittings or connections. Most times its a bad oring. Ac repair is a huge ripoff. Usually $500 or more for. .50 cent oring and a little time. Most of the time they just add some freon and hope to charge you again.