Shifting with the gear selector yay or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Napp E Roots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 5.4 and it does not have the electronic gear selector. when I'm on the trails and tearing it up, I find that the truck is sometimes not in the powerband where I would like it.

So I put the gear selector in 2 and if I get up to speed, bump it up to 3. I'll slide it down to 2 or 1 depending on the terrain and speed. when I off roading I am shifting quite a bit.

Is this bad for the tranny? Does any one else do this? I know all about engine speed and rpms but I can not find an answer to this question. Everything I've found is talking about getting up a hill or pulling a trailer and using 1 or 2 but no answers about shifting up and down

OP
OP
Napp E Roots

Napp E Roots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i do that but still not the power I want. Especially in the sand, the truck can get itself stuck because it tries to get up the dunes in 3rd and 4th gear and that just causes the truck to lose torque half way up

NC Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Paddle Shifters...

Edit - Nevermind those are only 2011+ ; Someone who knows more may say different but I would assume, if the computer lets you, it's perfectly fine...

Last edited:

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Myself and @Kanakry this is how we drive our trucks off road.
We shift from 1st through 3rd and if we need more it goes into drive.
I personally like shifting it like this as apposed to a button.
I've never had any problems and I've been driving my truck like this for years.
I also have a tune, full headers, and CAI so I might get a bit more power so she pulls like crazy.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find especially in the dunes that I am using the gear selector in first and second most times especially when I am trying to get up and bank across a large dune. I think this is perfectly fine for the transmission but it does wind out the engine a bit.

On a side note I was thinking about installing the Master Shift paddle shifters so I can keep both hands on the wheel when making approaches like this.

My $.02 you are safe to run your truck like this.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Myself and @Kanakry this is how we drive our trucks off road.
We shift from 1st through 3rd and if we need more it goes into drive.
I personally like shifting it like this as apposed to a button.
I've never had any problems and I've been driving my truck like this for years.
I also have a tune, full headers, and CAI so I might get a bit more power so she pulls like crazy.
5.4 fow eva!

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
www.runraptorrun.com