Sad day today......my Raptor got rearended : (

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OkieRacing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on m way home today I was rearended at a stoplight by some punk emo kid in his dads 96 chevy! I wanted to lay thid dude out right there but I kept my cool after an already crappy day. Ive had my Raptor 3 months and not even 3k miles on it and dude hits me bout 25mph. His bumper K O'd my hitch and towhooks, my bumper went through his grille comin out barley scuffed and his hood got into my tailgate. Luckily it didnt get the bedsides and shouldnt be any frame damage. It totalled the chevy, radiator knocked all the way back into the motor, door wouldnt open, hood jammed shut lol. So now the delima........Aftermarket bumpers and such with insurance money?? Or back to OE?? I really dont want a hit on the trucks carfax by havin a collision shop or dealer do the repairs and take a loss in value. I can fix or replace the tailgate replace the hitch and keep or replace the bumper. I really like the ADD bumper package and Im sure ill get the insurance money to cover it but what do yall think?!? I even thought about tailgate delete with spare tire rack in the back...but what do ya do about the back up cam? Anyone had expirience with this stuff??

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very sorry this happened to you but turn it into a positive.....I love the aftermarkets by ADD and SDHQ. Good luck and I hope it turns out well.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it were me I'd get it fixed. Document everything, take pics, keep copies of it all and be ready to pass it on to the buyer if/when you sell your Raptor.

Once it's fixed you can decide if you really want the aftermarket stuff.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn sorry to hear!

Take the Carfax hit though. Unless you plan to have a pro check the frame alignment off the record, don't even think about it otherwise. If it's off even a quarter inch, it'll never drive or track the same until you get it fixed, which can be big bucks.

And anyway if you report it to your insurance, and take their money, doesn't it show regardless of whether or not you had it repaired at a shop?

FLA-SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man...sorry to hear about that...Good thing is your ok and you did not empty a full clip into that punk. I would have had a hard time keeping my cool. IMO turn it in. You never know what hidden damage there could be. Sometimes insurance company can be your friends. It would suck to find out later there was a big problem. Easier to deal with it now, because they will try to say it was not caused by the accident later.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If he hit you that hard, check the gap between the cab and the bed. It should be equal from top to bottom. The gap might be wider at the top which means the frame tweaked like it's designed to. Not a big deal... it can be fixed. Just worth checking.

I hope, no matter what you decide, that you're back on (or off!) the road soon!

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
That sucks!! You could see if the shop will work with you so you can get the ADD bumpers instead of burning insurance money on stockers.

OP
OP
OkieRacing

OkieRacing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well I got some estimates yesterday and they range from 3300 to 3800 (at ford). They all said the brackets were the only things bent, said the frame appeared fine but nobody put it on a frame rack. Problem is the insurance company is on direct pay with Ford and the high end shops I went to. So if I opt to not replace the oe bumper I don't get the difference in money to buy an aftermarket. The guy at Ford said he wouldn't report it to carfax but didn't know if the insurance company would. No matter I did take pictures and I will keep all the original parts just for the fact of explaining it at resale if I have to. I may just have Ford do the repairs as it sits and replace everything oe, because I've been told I can file for "decrease of value" t the guys insurance company since it was their fault. Supposedly they take a percentage of the repairs/trucks value/other factors and cut me a seperate check for the loss of value due to being in an accident at the fault of their driver. So what I'm hoping is I do everything quare and legit and get enough compensation to buy new bumpers anyway. Thanks for all the advise guys, I think ill just do it right, and be happy with it. Hell I'm just happy the kid had insurance at all! Plus I get a rental car to thrash the hell out of for a week, I wonder if since I use my raptor for jumping they will allow the same for my rental replacment?! Hahaha

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regardless if you get it fixed by a shop it will show up on CarFax, so long as the insurance company is involved. Checking the frame should not cost a lot. My story is a little different but after a no-fault accident in my Landcruiser it was determined that the frame needed to be straightened, which I had to pay for out of pocket since the insured's insurance company totalled my ride, it cost under $200 (may be a different frame type, IDK). I, too, needed a new (front) bumper and instead of going OE I purchased the ARB bull-bar.

I don't see why the insured's insurance company would not give you a "credit" towards a SDHQ rear bumper if you chose to not replace the OE bumper...it is your truck, not theirs and it was their customers fault, not yours. The OE bumper (a new one) will certainly cost more than an aftermarket, or be pretty close in price. It's probably time you put on the ******* hat and start demanding what you are entitled to...his insurance company will rob you every chance they get.

It is a shame to hear that you did get rear-ended, in the end it will affect the resale value of the Raptor if the next owner wants to see a CarFax. My suggestion is that you try your absolute best to be compensated to be reimbursed now for the hit you are going to take down the road. It sounds like that's what you are trying to do but don't let "emo kid's" insurance company walk over you even in the least bit.

If you feel you have been wronged by his insurance you can even get your insurance company involved or even consult with your insurance company, and it should not have an impact on your insurance premiums.

On a side not...in my case, even after they totalled my Landcruiser and paid out, I had enough money to buy another Landcruiser (in proper working order, which I later gave to my brother) and repaired my "totalled" Landcruiser that I am still driving on a daily basis and would trust on a cross-country trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter