GEN 1 Weird transmission down shift problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three quarts could cause some damage depending on how you where driving during it being low. If you where easy on it. Just around town kinda driving you'll prolly be okay. I regularly see trucks come into the shop (be it they are GM's not ford's) very low on fluid, dry dip stick add 2-3 liters before you get a reading and I'd say 95% of them. Once Filled to the correct lvl and there's no problems. You get the odd one where the guy was lead footing it around, towing ect and I have seen torque converter damage. Occasional forward clutch damage. But Its rare from what I have seen

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. I was just driving around town and the slip only happened with a sudden stop. I just installed the B&M transmission dip-stick, so I can check from now on. Ford sure made it hard to check the level. Next up is the B&M transmission pan.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I know what happened here. The procedure for refilling the transmission after servicing it is a two step process. You add a certain amount of fluid cold, start the truck, and after the fluid has circulated, you add more until you get a reading on the dipstick. That's the cold fill. Then you drive it until the transmission temperature comes up to full temp, and then you check the fluid level while it's hot and running, and incrementally add more fluid until the level is between the two marks on the dipstick.

That second step is punishing. The dipstick is so close to the catalytic converter that if you do it bare handed you will get burnt. Since you have to add fluid a little bit at a time and check the fluid level after each bit of fluid you add, you will get burnt at the same places on your hand multiple times. It's really hard to use gloves because it's so tight and because you need bare fingertips to feel what you're doing. I serviced my transmission at 45K miles... (Glad I did, too. That 100K mile service interval in the owner's manual is ********. The fluid was dark, dirty, and there was a film of metal particles all over everything.) ...and the first and second knuckles of my right hand had third degree burns that took over a month to heal. The scars were visible for months thereafter. I imagine that all over America there are Ford mechanics with burn scars and low regard for Ford engineers.

So I think that the mechanic that did the trans flush for @Skyfrog only did the first step - the cold fill. He didn't want to get burnt (again), so he didn't do the hot fill. Betcha. It's crappy workmanship, but the guy makes his living with his hands and he can't do that very well if he keeps burning them over and over. The fault here is with the design. The solution is B&M part number 22200 - a remote dipstick that, once installed, enables the owner to add fluid and check the fluid level from under the hood instead of under the truck.

Last edited: