Fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The government will not allow the fuel vapor to vent to atmosphere anymore so, The pressure that gets built up in the fuel system must go somewhere. When you stick the nozzle in to fill up the vapor must go into the canister so it can be captured. The canister vent control opens and lets the vapor into the canister... I think the noise you are hearing is the release of pressure not the sound of a vacuum...

I am thinking you are correct, and the fact that it happened when the tank was near empty. Means there was a more room for gas vapor/pressure. Plus, if the pump is in the tank, an near empty tank would expose the pump, creating more noise..

-Greg

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Empty was an understatement. Running on fumes. So should I always shut down the truck while filling up? Is it ad to let the fuel get close to empty. It seems there is more fuel than what the gauge suggests

Yeah the noise was loud almost dropped my smoke.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Empty was an understatement. Running on fumes. So should I always shut down the truck while filling up? Is it ad to let the fuel get close to empty. It seems there is more fuel than what the gauge suggests

Yeah the noise was loud almost dropped my smoke.

Well, seeing that is dangerous as hell to fill up while the vehicle running yes, but its a personal preference I guess. I know I dont want to be next to you while you are filling... ha ha ha
The static that builds up during a fill is crazy. when it discharges look the hell out. I never have filled up a vehicle while its running and ive been in the hottest and the coldest areas. Ya maybe Im a bit OCD since I worked in the field bit I know I aint going up in a flame... ha ha ha

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The government will not allow the fuel vapor to vent to atmosphere anymore so, The pressure that gets built up in the fuel system must go somewhere. When you stick the nozzle in to fill up the vapor must go into the canister so it can be captured. The canister vent control opens and lets the vapor into the canister... I think the noise you are hearing is the release of pressure not the sound of a vacuum...

I am thinking you are correct, and the fact that it happened when the tank was near empty. Means there was a more room for gas vapor/pressure. Plus, if the pump is in the tank, an near empty tank would expose the pump, creating more noise..

-Greg

Dammit I thought about this over drinks tonight and came up with the same conclusion as y'all. Felt so smart until I read y'all already had these thoughts. Goes with the old saying a half empty tank is more dangerous than a full one.

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You make me drink...thank you.

All I have to say is I have driven several times with that little blue zero staring at me.....

And that damn alarm going booty doo, booty doo, booty doo zero miles til empty...

How can I have zero miles and still be driving?

The only vacuum I have ever heard is from my wallet!

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
Talk to Corey and Jarrett (RPG) about it, I know they have talked about it at TRR. Making between rear frame (bronco 2) aux tank for the Raptor.

-Greg

Professor Corey must still be caculating with the slide rule and thing a ma bobbers. That was.......April ?
Funny I was just looking into this today.
So what do we do, plumb into the feed and return lines and have a pretty much stock tank ? Or just fill up more often or carry 5 gal cans ?

Yes Hock the pump will remove the liquid, creating a negative air space (vacuum or a unequalized chamber) if that air space is not filled with air, 13 psi atmospheric pressure will collapse tank. I think I got that right ?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Professor Corey must still be caculating with the slide rule and thing a ma bobbers. That was.......April ?
Funny I was just looking into this today.
So what do we do, plumb into the feed and return lines and have a pretty much stock tank ? Or just fill up more often or carry 5 gal cans ?

Yes Hock the pump will remove the liquid, creating a negative air space (vacuum or a unequalized chamber) if that air space is not filled with air, 13 psi atmospheric pressure will collapse tank. I think I got that right ?

Ya its something like 13... It wont totally collapse but it sure aint good for it ha ha... They are running a return-less system now(or was at the time I left in 08). The pump speed is regulated by the PCM which in turn varies the pressure for what is needed. They did this to reduce hydrocarbons(fuel vapor)when the hot fuel is sent back to the tank. So you will not be able to plug into the fuel lines at all... When we built prototypes we had extra bosses installed in the tanks to add or remove any fuel. In the plastic tanks you have to add a extra port on the top fuel module...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter