Best / Recommended Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher octane only really matters when you are boosted.

I've had 500+ hp boosted vehicles. I ran race gas (110) when I wanted to turn up the boost.

Detonation, detonation, detonation. The only reason you would want/need to run higher octane.

Normally aspirated engines don't really need high octane fuel unless the compression is high.

When tuned you shouldn't need high octane either. Unless, their approach is to advance timing etc.

Don't know much about tuning our trucks. I do know, however, it is usually a waste of time getting a tune unless you are going forced induction.

Tuners will turn up boost, advance timing until detonation, then usually dial it back.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have here ever compare Sunoco 93 to shell 93. I have been reading about shells new nitrogen formula 93 and was thinking about changing over anyone got anything on it? Does the shell stuff actually clean the engine?

D

Deleted member 12951

Anyone have here ever compare Sunoco 93 to shell 93. I have been reading about shells new nitrogen formula 93 and was thinking about changing over anyone got anything on it? Does the shell stuff actually clean the engine?

Marketing gimmick

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Octane Question

Saw this in Gen 2, search doesn't show it for Gen 1. What y'all running? Tell any power diff? Mileage diff?
I run 87, have put premium and found no mileage or power diff. Seems crazy to pay the extra if it does nothing or does not help. Thoughts?
I bet I know how Wilson gonna answer! :biggrin::biggrin:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I'm just going back and forth to work, in rush hour, I just fill it up with 87.
If I'm going offroad, or know I'll push it hard in the near future I put 93 in.
Maybe it was just in my head, but I feel it being a tad more snappy/willing to downshift on 93.
Mileage is close, did two fillups on 87 recently and got 13.0. Same driving conditions with 93 and I'm at 13.5.

I have heard some slight detonation with 87 oct, but sure it was just crappy 87 octane on those fillups.

Last edited: