Wheel/tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

george16

Reaction score
Ok, I am still looking to buy a raptor. I have never owned a truck so forgive my ignorance on this stuff.
I found a 2014 for a good price, however, it appears that the wheels are not OEM (I may be wrong). The tires are Toyo.
Here is a picture of it:
http://images.cars.com/supersized/DMI/832/EFB81817/26.jpg

While doing some research on this stuff, I read that using certain types of wheels that stick out too far can put added strain on parts of the suspension and cause them to fail prematurely.

Can you tell what this wheel/tire combo is? Is it ok? Will it cause suspension issues? I am not the type of person that will be making changes and mods to the truck, so I would rather keep it simple and not have to worry about this.

Also, this tire looks like it is designed for off-road. Some of the raptors that I have seen have tires that have treads that look more like regular street tires. I imagine the ride is quieter with them too. What type of tires do raptors normally come with?

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

BTW, this is the wheel from a 2013 that I am looking at too, and this looks like it is the OEM wheel, and the tire looks like more like a street tire.
http://img2.carmax.com/img/vehicles/12328991/8/v-0x8d2be28141f0c3c/700/525.jpg

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you test drove the truck yet? Off road tires these days are fairly quiet on the road. A lot of us have Method wheels with a zero offset (they stick out farther than stock) and have no issues.

The wheels in the second photo are stock wheels. The tires are absolute garbage. Although you may not be off roading much, you will want a tire with a little more grip for inclement weather conditions. These trucks are great in almost any situation, and you don't want your tires to be the weak link.

Good luck with your purchase, and welcome to the mayhem!!!!!

OP
OP
G

george16

Reaction score
Have you test drove the truck yet? Off road tires these days are fairly quiet on the road. A lot of us have Method wheels with a zero offset (they stick out farther than stock) and have no issues.

The wheels in the second photo are stock wheels. The tires are absolute garbage. Although you may not be off roading much, you will want a tire with a little more grip for inclement weather conditions. These trucks are great in almost any situation, and you don't want your tires to be the weak link.

Good luck with your purchase, and welcome to the mayhem!!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply.
I test drove the one with the off road tires. Are those "method" wheels?
I live in south FL, so the only inclement weather I have here is rain. I probably won't be offroading much, and even if I do, it will be at a very beginner level.
Really, my main concerns are the noise and the need for repairs because of the non stock wheels.

BTW, the one with the offroad tires is a 2014 with 34k miles. The other is a 2013 with 23k miles. Tires/wheels aside, just curious what people prefer. New car with higher miles, or older with lower miles?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
The white one looks like it is on top perch or has some sort of lift on the front. I'd go with the lower mileage truck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk